In association with:
First Annual Economics Conference
50 years of Bank Nationalisation: Indian Banking at Crossroads
Amrut Mody School of Management, Ahmedabad University is pleased to announce its First Annual Economics Conference on the theme 50 years of Bank Nationalisation: Indian Banking at Crossroads.
On July 19, 1969, the Indian Government nationalised 14 largest private sector banks in India to push city-based banks to provide banking in rural areas. However, the record has been at best mixed. The banks did open branches and provided banking services in rural and neglected areas but this rural push was at the cost of profitability and efficiency of banks. The Finance Minister in the interim budget speech of 2019-20 made the following observation: “Bank nationalisation was first done 50 years ago, but a large part of the country was still left out of the economic mainstream with no access to formal banking.”
The year 2019 also places Indian banking at crossroads. The recent NPA crisis and spate of fraud cases has put spotlight on India’s banks. The big question is how despite many years of reforms and adopting prudential norms, there is an NPA crisis of this scale? The crisis has also opened up the old issue of whether RBI has enough powers to regulate public sector banks.
Interestingly, India is not the only country facing a banking crisis. Most economies are undergoing their own crises in banking which include not just rising NPAs but also questions over lack of appropriate culture in the industry. Apart from these structural issues, the rise of digital banking is also challenging the older models of banking.
The 50th anniversary is a good time to review these ongoing developments in banking.
We are pleased to inform you that RBI Governor Mr Shaktikanta Das has agreed to inaugurate and deliver the inaugural lecture. This will be followed by a keynote lecture from Dr C Rangarajan, former Governor of RBI. Ms Usha Thorat, former Deputy Governor of RBI will join us in a panel discussion. We will also have other eminent academics, bankers and subject experts joining us at the conference. The schedule will be uploaded soon on this webpage.
Last Date for Registration: 31 Oct 2019
Keynote speakers and Panel Discussants
- Mr Shaktikanta Das (Governor, RBI)
- Dr C Rangarajan (Former Governor RBI)
- Dr Urjit Patel (Former Governor, RBI)
- Ms Usha Thorat (Former Deputy Governor, RBI)
- Professor T T Rammohan (IIM Ahmedabad)
- Dr V Ananth Nageswaran (Dean, IFMR Business School)
- Mr Arijit Basu (MD, State Bank of India)
- Shri Rajkiran Rai G (CMD, Union Bank)
- Professor Ananth Narayan (SP Jain Institute of Management and Research)
- Mr S Sridhar (Former CMD, National Housing Bank and Central Bank of India)
- Professor Sashi Sivramkrishna (Kautilya Entrepreneurship & Management Institute (KEMI))
- Ms Bindu Ananth (Chairperson, Dvara Foundation)
- Professor M S Sriram (IIM Bangalore)
- Dr Santanu Paul (MD & CEO, Talent Sprint)
- Mr Sambamurthy (Former CMD, Corporation Bank and National Payments Corporation of India)