Master’s Programme in Heritage Management is a new two years degree programme of its kind in India. It emphasises on a critical understanding of heritage, and holistic management approach to heritage sector. The areas of exploration within the curriculum include a diverse range of heritage sectors spanning tangible and intangible, cultural and natural, historic and contemporary/living, and so on, but with emphasis on management. Applicant should ensure bachelor’s degree in any discipline (50% minimum marks) and a demonstrated interest in heritage & management.
It is a unique programme with mixed pedagogy including lectures, seminars, discussion and group works, field-learning including immersion and practicum programmes and a culminating thesis.
Key Highlights of the Programme:
- Admissions open to a multi-disciplinary cohort: Students with an undergraduate degree in arts, architecture, archaeology, business, culture, history, and so on may apply. However, a key criteria would be a demonstrated interest (through a written essay of interest) or a record of professional experience on heritage related fields. Prospective students may contact the centre to find out if they qualify to apply.
- Programme begins with a week long ‘introductory seminar’, then the first two semester includes course work on heritage studies and management studies. In between the first two semesters, a week long field-immersion programme will enrich the students’ understanding of heritage issues in the South Asian context. Second Semester will have professional heritage management courses and skills development courses, followed by a two months long internship. The third semester includes project works under a specialized studio, electives and thesis proposal. A part of the whole semester may also be taken as an exchange programme with a pre-approved university abroad. This exchange programme is an optional component that may depend on individual student’s internship and/or field work related to his/her thesis. The final semester is mostly focused on thesis work, hence it can be partly combined with exchange programme or field-research as well. All graduating students will present their thesis work at an international conference which may be a good opportunity for networking and continuing with their future career path.
- Programme includes a total of 80 credit hours including lectures, seminars, field-studies, volunteer works, internship and research. Throughout the two years’ duration, a major emphasis is to get the students connected and experience in the real life scenario, and to prepare them to undertake any heritage management projects or manage a heritage related business or institutions.
- The faculty roster includes prominent experts and academicians from India and abroad.
- Programme is also open for international students, particularly from South and Southeast Asia. In case of international students, certain field works and thesis may also be done in their home country, with prior planning and ensuring proper guidance under the approval of the programme committee.
- Students will also have options of taking elective classes at other institutions across the Ahmedabad University.
- For out of station students, assistance in finding accommodation and initial assistance will be provided through a centralized Students’ assistance system at the university.
- In addition to regular academic work, the students may also benefit from the centre’s own journal and newsletter publication series, regular heritage talks, and heritage management projects at the centre.
- Details of scholarships and sponsorships are being worked out, and will be published as they are finalized.
Candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline (with minimum of 50% marks, with exception to those applying under SC/ST category) with a demonstrated interest in Heritage may apply. Students who have appeared or will appear for the final year examination of bachelor’s degree by June 2018, can also apply – provided that they are able to furnish the final results by September 30, 2018.
Details about the Application Process will be shared soon…