Developing Integrated Approaches
& Expo of Best Practices in Integrated Heritage Management
December 14 – 16, 2018, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, INDIA
The first edition of the International Conference Series on Heritage Management Education and Practice took place in July 2017 with the key theme of ‘Exploring Connections across Disciplines and Stakeholders’. About 60 presentations featured in the conference as well as the plenary sessions explored the possibilities of connections across disciplines and stakeholders. The conference delegates representing 12 countries and diverse disciplines including architecture, conservation, history, cultural studies, museums, crafts, disaster risk management, and so on. The inaugural conference in July 2017 successfully brought together synergies from stakeholders from various disciplines and practice areas, and ushered towards the theme for the second edition, that is to promote integrated approaches across disciplines and beyond the thematic binaries. In the upcoming 2018 conference, we seek to articulate and celebrate integrated approaches in both theories and practices.
In the second edition of this conference in 2018, we would like to explore the gaps in our efforts of connecting disciplines and stakeholders, and suggest ways to bridge these gaps. We call for abstracts reflecting on research, practices, pedagogy, and case studies on the successful stories as well as critical inquiries to highlight ways of integrating diverse aspects of heritage, diverse stakeholders, and bridging the gaps in heritage management practices.
The following are suggested thematic areas for various sessions and papers, but we are also open to welcome any other relevant ideas.
- Integrating the Natural and the Cultural Heritage.
- Intersections of Tangible and the Intangible Heritage.
- Heritage for Development, and Development for Heritage.
- Partnerships and Participation in Heritage Management.
- Economics of Heritage, and Heritage for Economic Development.
- Heritage as Educational Resources, and Education for Heritage Management.
- Heritage as Tourism Destinations, and Tourism as vehicle for Heritage Management.
- Bringing Museums to the Communities, and Museums for the Communities.
- Global Heritage Discourses, and Local Heritage Practices, and
- Special Thematic Session coordinated by the Living Waters Museum Initiative: Water and Living Heritage or Living Waters Museum (see the link to the LWM page: https://www.livingwatersmuseum.org).
Abstracts of 500 – 700 words are invited from anyone interested from around the world for a paper/oral presentation or a poster presentation. Abstracts submitted for oral presentation may be recommended for poster presentation as well.
The abstracts must have the following information reflected clearly for the reviewers to evaluate:
- Nature of work, i.e. research, actual ongoing project, a class project or paper, a theoretical framework development, literature review based paper, or a completed project report, and so on; and the nature of author’s involvement.
- Key problem or issue addressed or being addressed,
- Methodology brief, and
- Expected conclusion or achieved results.
The abstracts will be blind-peer-reviewed on the above parameters, by the scientific committee. Accepted abstracts may be invited for a 15-20 minutes oral presentation session, or for a poster session. Authors of accepted abstracts may opt to submit a full paper to be considered for publication in the Journal of Heritage Management. Details about full paper submission will be shared to authors of selected abstracts at the time of notification of abstract review process.
- Presentations: Selected abstracts will be invited for 15-20 minutes long presentations at suitable sessions of the conference. In addition to in-person presentations, we are also considering to have provision of virtual (off-site) presentations for presenters who may not be able to join the conference in-person.
- Posters: Some abstracts may be selected for poster presentations, in which case the presenters will be asked to have a poster on display which can be used to explain the paper/project to the audience. There will be a dedicated poster session in an exhibition format where the presenters will be explaining the paper/project to the visiting audience. The poster session room may be open for an extended period of time.
- Expo: Along with the regular conference presentation sessions, we also plan to have an Expo to feature ‘best practices in integrated heritage management’. This is an opportunity for the organizations and institutions which are working in various sectors of heritage but through an integrated approach, to set up a stall to disseminate their approach and achievements.
Call for Abstracts announcement: February 1, 2018
Last date to submit abstracts: May 15, 2018
Notification of abstracts selection results: June 30, 2018
Registration opens: June 15, 2018
Registration Rates (includes lunches, tea breaks, conference kit and conference reception)
|Type||Early Bird & Presenters||Regular||Late|
|Deadline||August 15, 2018||October 15, 2018||November 15, 2018|
|Non-Students (Professionals/Academic/Institutional) – Indian||Rs. 4000||Rs. 8000||Rs. 12,000|
|Students – Indian||Rs. 2000||Rs. 4000||Rs. 6000|
|Professionals – South Asia||USD 75||USD 150||USD 200|
|Students South Asia||USD 50||USD 100||USD 150|
|Professionals (Other Countries)||USD 150||USD 300||USD 400|
|Students (Other Countries)||USD 100||USD 200||USD 300|
|Expo participating Institutions (limited slots available)||Interested organisations/institutions may email us to discuss available options.|
Applicable taxes will be levied on registration fees (based on the prevalent rule from the Government of India, at the time of registration). Limited number of registration waivers will be offered to participants (individual as well as organizations/community groups) through an application evaluation process. Details to be announced soon.
CONFERENCE ORGANIZING COMMITEE
Dr. Neel Kamal Chapagain, Director, Centre for Heritage Management, Ahmedabad University
- Papers & Presentations Coordinator: Dr. Shahul Ameen
- Posters Session Coordinator: Mr. Piyush Pandya
- Expo Coordinator: Mr. Vijay Ramchandani
- Water and Living Heritage Thematic Coordinator: Dr. Sara Ahmed
List of Scientific Committee members will be published soon.
- Conference Outreach Coordinator: Ms. Sonal Mishra
- Conference Logistics Coordinator: Ms. Phalguni Shah