Dr. Dhaval Patel is currently working as Assistant Professor at School of Engineering and Applied Science - Ahmedabad University, India. Previously, he associated with Olin School of Engineering-MA-USA (Visiting Faculty), Nirma University, Charotar University of Science and Technology - Changa and as a Research Engineer at Pentium Electronics, Ahmedabad.
He has published research papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences. He is a TPC member of many international conferences in U.S.A and India. He is contributing his services as a reviewer in International and National Journals like IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications, IEEE Access, NASA Journal of Physical Science, IEEE Communication letters, etc. Furthermore, he is an executive committee member of professional bodies like IEEE Signal Processing Society, ISTE and IETE.
His area of interest includes Cyber Physical System, 5G Wireless Networks, Non-parametric statistics, Cognitive Radio-Physical Layer, MIMO Communications and Statistical Signal Processing.
Project title: Cognitive Radio Enabled Vehicular Cyber-Physical System for Urban Area
- Lead Project Investigator (PI) –INDIA: Dr. Dhaval Patel, SEAS Ahmedabad University.
- Lead Project Investigator (PI) –ASEAN MS1: Dr Guan Yong Liang, NTU, Singapore
- Project Collaborator (Co-PI)- ASEAN MS1: Dr. Sumei SUN, Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore
- Project Investigator (PI) –ASEAN MS-2: Dr. CHANG Yoong Choon, UTAR, Malaysia
- Project Collaborator (Co-PI) - ASEAN MS-2: Dr. Joanne Lim Mun Yee, Monash University, Malaysia
Funding Agency: DST-ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) collaborative R&D program
Duration: Three Years (2018-2020)
I am looking for the Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in the Communication and Signal Processing Group of the SEAS-Ahmedabad University leading to the award of a PhD degree in the areas of 5G Vehicular Cyber Physical System. This research project is funded by the DST-ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) collaborative R&D program. It will be carried out in close cooperation with ASEAN Foreign Partners: (1) NTU- Singapore (2) Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Agency for Science, Technology, and Research (A*STAR), Singapore (3) UTAR, Malaysia (4) Monash University, Malaysia
Salary : 32,000/- month (including HRA – First and Second Year) and 33,000/- month (including HRA – Third Year)
How to Apply: Please send a zip file containing short CV (including contact details of at least two referees), copies of degree certificates, academic transcripts, and along with a statement of research interests to Dr Dhaval Patel (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following text in the subject of your email: Application for the DST-ASEAN JRF position
Last Date: February 18, 2017
Date of Interview: --
Tentative Date of Joining: March 1, 2018
Project title: Non-parametric Smart Sensing Analytics based on Large Spectrum Data and Estimation of Channel Activity Statistics
Role: PI (Dr. Dhaval Patel - India Partner - Ahmedabad University), PI (Dr. Miguel Lopez-Benitez - UK Partner - University of Liverpool )
Funding Agency: DST-UKIERI Thematic Partnerships 2016-17
Duration: Three Years (2017-2020)
I am looking for the Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in the Communication and Signal Processing Group of the SEAS-Ahmedabad University leading to the award of a PhD degree in the areas of cognitive radio/dynamic spectrum access and 5G mobile communications. The research project is funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and the UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI). It will be carried out in close cooperation with University of Liverpool, UK.
Salary : 25000/- + 20% HRA (30,000 approx.). For Three Years (2017-2020)
How to Apply: Please send a zip file containing short CV (including contact details of at least two referees), copies of degree certificates, academic transcripts, and along with a statement of research interests to Dr Dhaval Patel (email@example.com) with the following text in the subject of your email: Application for the DST-UKIERI JRF position
Last Date: February 26, 2017
Date of Interview: March 4, 2017
Tentative Date of Joining: April 1, 2017
Project title: Design and Performance Analysis of Nonparametric Detection algorithm for Cognitive Radio - MIMO Communications
Role: PI (Dr. Dhaval Patel), Co-PI (Prof. (Dr.) Sanjay Chaudhary)
Funding Agency: DST- Gujarat Council on Science and Technology
Duration: Two Years (2016-2018)
Current Opening: 
- PG Student:
- For Ph.D: Learning is a slow process and to learn fast from a slow process leads us towards quality research. If you are interested in my research area then send me an e-mail with your CV and find a convenient time to chat. Currently, I am strongly looking for JRF/SRF (motivated to join Ph.D full time) for DST-UK research project.
- For M.Tech: People with M.Tech in ECE/CS/EE with experience in Matlab/Python programming are welcome to apply by sending me an e-mail with your CV. [Duration: Minimum 1 year]
2. UG Student: Final year student with experience in Matlab/Python programming full six months time can apply by sending me an e-mail with your CV. [Duration: Minimum six months]
- Shivam Raval, Dhaval K. Patel, Miguel López-Benítez, Performance Analysis of Improved Energy Detection in Full Duplex Non-Time-Slotted Cognitive Radio, Proceedings of the IEEE 12th International Conference on Advanced Networks and Telecommunications Systems (ANTS 2018), Indore, India, pp. xx-xx, December 16 - 19, 2018
- Om Thakkar, Dhaval K. Patel, Shivam Raval, Miguel López-Benítez, Performance Analysis of Selection Diversity Combining Using Improved Energy Detection, Proceedings of the IEEE 15th India Council International Conference (INDICON 2018), Coimbatore - India, pp. xx-xx, December 16 - 18, 2018
- Ahmed Al-Tahmeesschi, Miguel López-Benítez, Valerio Selis, Dhaval K. Patel, Kenta Umbayashi, "Cooperative Estimation of Primary Traffic under Imperfect Spectrum Sensing and Byzantine Attacks", IEEE Access, pp. xx-xx, October 2018
- Ahmed Al-Tahmeesschi, Miguel López-Benítez, Dhaval K. Patel, Janne LehtomÃdki, Kenta Umbayashi,"On the Sample Size for the Estimation of Primary Activity Statistics Based on Spectrum Sensing, IEEE Transaction in Cognitive Communication and Networking, pp. xx-xx, September 2018
- Kartik Patel, Dhaval Patel, M. López-Benítez, Sanjay Chaudhary, "Distribution-free spectrum sensing for full duplex cognitive radio", Proceedings of the IEEE 88th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2018 Fall), Chicago, USA, August 27-30, 2018, pp. 1-5
- M. López-Benítez, Ahmed Al-Tahmeesschi, Dhaval Patel "Accurate Estimation of the Minimum Primary Channel Activity Time in Cognitive Radio Based on Periodic Spectrum Sensing Observations" Proceedings of the 24th European Wireless Conference (EW 2018), Catania-Italy, May 2-4 2018
- Maunil Vyas, Dhaval Patel, and M. López-Benítez, "Artificial Neural Network Based Hybrid Spectrum Sensing Scheme for Cognitive Radio" 28th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2017), October 8-13, 2017, Montreal, Canada
- Mitul Panchal, Dhaval Patel, and Sanjay Chaudhary, "Spectrum Occupancy Classification Using SVM-Radial Basis Function" 12th Springer / EAI International Conference on Cognitive Radio Oriented Wireless Networks (CROWNCOM-2017), September 20-21, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Dhaval Patel and Y. N. Trivedi, "LRS-G2 Based Non-parametric Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio, 11th International Conference on Cognitive Radio Oriented Wireless Networks and Communications (CROWNCOM-2016), Springer International Publishing, pp. 330-341, June 2016
- Dhaval Patel and Y. N. Trivedi, "Goodness-of-fit-based non-parametric spectrum sensing under Middleton noise for cognitive radio," IET Electronics Letters, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 419-421, Mar. 2015.
- Dhaval Patel and Y. N. Trivedi, "Non-parametric Blind Spectrum Sensing Based on Censored Observations for Cognitive radio," Journal of Signal Processing System (Springer), vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 275-281, Mar. 2015.
- Dhaval Patel and Y. N. Trivedi, " Spectrum Sensing Based on Censored Observations in Time-Varying Channels using AR-1 Model." Nirma University Journal of Engineering and Technology, vol. 3 no. 1, pp. 8-11, Jan. 2015.
- Dhaval Patel and Y N. Trivedi, "Non-parametric Spectrum Sensing Based on Censored Observations in Quasi-static Fading Channel for Cognitive radio" in 76th meetings of the Wireless Innovation Forum (WINNF), Proceedings of SDR-WInnComm-Europe 11-13 June 2013, pp. 108-111. [Presented at: Rohde and Schwarz, Munich, Germany]
- Dhaval Patel and Y. N. Trivedi, " Spectrum Sensing Based on Censored Observations in Time-Varying Channels using AR-1 Model." Nirma University Journal of Engineering and Technology , vol. 3 no. 1, pp. 8-11, Jan. 2015.
- Dhaval Patel , Ketul. Patel and M. Patel," Scalability analysis in Wireless Sensor Network with LEACH Routing Protocol", IEEE International conference CAMAN at Wuhan, China, pp 1-6,2011
- Dhaval Patel , G. Patel, M. Shah and A. Oza- " Performance comparison of ad-hoc network routing protocol based on throughput and jitter in network simulator" Journal of Intelligent Information Processing, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55-61, June 2010
- Dhaval Patel , S K. Shah and M P. Thaker, "Performance Analysis of Reactive Routing Protocols with OSPF for IEEE 802.11s Wireless Mesh Network", (Springer-Verlag) V.V Das et al. (Eds.): BAIP 2010, CCIS 70, pp. 276-280, 2010.
- Dhaval Patel and A. Joshi, "Cognitive Radio Based IEEE 802.11 MANET-Wireless Mesh Network", 2nd International Conference on Signal, System and Automation at G H Patel College of Engineering, V V Nagar-Anand,Gujarat on 24-25 January 2011. ISBN: 978-1-6123-3002-0
- Dhaval Patel and P. Panchal," Ubiquitous Computing: Proposed Middleware for Immersive Networks,Real-time Challenges and Applications" Current Trends in Technology (NUCONE 2008), 2008 at NIRMA University, Ahmedabad
- Dhaval Patel and S K. Hadia," Wireless Mesh Network: The Hyacinth Architecture, Applications, Challenges", ISTE National Conference 2008, Mahakal Institute of Technology, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh
- Dhaval Patel and M D. Patel, "MEMS for Industrial Automation and Process Control: Technology Roadmap, Design Issues, Applications and Limitations", IEEE National Conference-2008, at Charotar Institute of Technology, Changa
- Probability and Random Processes (B.Tech Sem. IV - ICT)
- Wireless Communications (B.Tech Sem. V - ICT)
- Advanced Wireless Communications (B.Tech Sem. VI - ICT - Elective)
Faculty Development Program on "Advanced 5G Wireless Communications: Performance Analysis and Monte-Carlo Simulations" (As a part of DST-ASEAN and DST-UKIERI Project) Organized by School of Engineering and Applied Science, Ahmedabad University, June 18-23, 2018 [FDP Website: https://ahduni.edu.in
/seas/wireless-fdp2018/ and Registration Link: https://goo.gl/R6tu4m ]
Faculty Development Program on "Advanced Wireless Communications using USRP / GNURadio" (As a part of DST-UKIERI Project) Organized by School of Engineering and Applied Science, Ahmedabad University, August 16-20, 2017 [FDP Website: https://ahduni.edu.in/seas/wireless-fdp/index.html]
- UG workshop on "Introduction to OFDM using N210" By Dr. Siddhartan Govindasamy from Olin School, MA, USA.
International Journals (Reviewer):
- IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications
- IEEE Communication Letters
- Springer Wireless Personal Communications
- Springer Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section A: Physical Sciences
- International Journal of Information system
- MALSIP'15: Springer LNEE Conference
- ARiEET'15: Malaysia Technical Scientist Association, Bandung, Indonesia
- WCITCA: A World Congress on Information Technology, Hammamet, Tunisia
- TENSYMP: Industrial Internet Workshop (TPC Member), Gandhinagar
- ICCSEIT: International Conference on Computer supported Education and Information Technology, Kathmandu, Nepal
- NUiCONE: Nirma University International Conference on Engineering, Ahmedabad, India
- ICSPT: International Conference on Signal Processing and Telecommunications, Sousse, Tunisia
- ISSP: International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Signal Processing, G.H.Patel College of Engineering, V.V.Nagar, India
2016: International Travel Support (ITS) under young scientist category from SERB-DST to present research paper in CROWNCOMM-2016
2015: Won the Best IEEE Signal Processing Society Chapter Award, Executive Committee Member- Treasurer Gujarat Section, across Asia R10 Region
2015: Elite Gold medal, Outstanding Performance with 91%, NPTEL MOOC Certification offered by IIT Kanpur on Principles of Modern CDMA/ MIMO/ OFDM Wireless Communications
2014: Achieved Second Prize, Best Presentation Award, Nonparametric Sensing using GoF technique, in TEQIP-II workshop on Mathematical Modeling for Scientist, Engineers, and Statistician at NIT, Surat during January 27-31, 2014
2011: Research Fellowship for 2011-2014, as Full Time Research Scholar, in Department of Electrical engineering, Institute of Technology, Nirma university
2010: Achieved First Prize in Research Paper Section, Wireless Technologies in Automation and Communication: WTAC 2010, organized by IETE, Baroda Center held on January 10, 2010 under IETE chapter.
2009: Appreciation Certificate for Successfully organized A National Level Workshop on Wired and wireless Network on NS-2 under FEDORA Linux Platform for THREE days (Only hands on) at CIT, EC Department, March 19-21, 2009 Changa
2008: Achieved First Prize in Review Paper Section in Networking Technology and Applications: 2008, organized by IETE, Baroda Center held on April 20, 2008 under IETE chapter
239, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
Ahmedabad Education Society FP. 4,
Near Commerce Six Roads,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380 009, India