Professor Ganguli received his PhD from the Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai. He has more than eight years of experience in the chemical industry and has worked across the breadth of the domain, with projects spanning computational fluid dynamics of multiphase flows, process modelling, process equipment design and optimisation, plant support for extractive systems and some commodity chemical processes. He has received a number of laurels for his work, including the Abhaynkar Award in ICT, Mumbai and the Patent Award in the Saudi Arabia Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC). He has about 18 international publications in such journals as Chemical Engineering Science, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, American Insitute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), and Physics of Fluids. He has already amassed 250 citations to his publications. He is also a member of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers and American Chemical Society.
He began his career as post-doctoral researcher with the University of Paderborn, Germany. There, he worked on model development for mass transfer across interfaces and droplet coalescence. Subsequently, he joined the Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland, Technoforce Solutions, Mumbai and SABIC R&D, Bangalore before joining Ahmedabad University. At Technoforce Solutions Ltd he worked in optimizing process equipment using computational fluid dynamics: for instance, in impeller designs for pumps, optimization of liquid-liquid extractors etc. At SABIC (a petrochemical giant) Professor Ganguli was part of a team for developing integrated process models, kinetic models and separation column models for existing processes like isomerization, dehydrogenation and etherification; as well as providing plant support.
Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Innovative design of Gravity Passive Containment Cooling System (PCCS) in Advanced Nuclear reactor: Development of a CFD model for understanding hydrodynamics and heat transfer in the GDWP. Validation of the model with experimental results. Numerical experiments for a scaled down version of actual system.
- Innovative design of Isolation condenser in Advanced nuclear reactor: Development of CFD model for condensation of steam inside pipe. UDF has been used to model condensation phenomena.
- Development of a condensation model to study bubble dynamics of a condensing vapor bubble during nucleate boiling.
- Direct numerical simulation of single and coalescing droplets using level-set method for liquid-liquid extraction systems. A Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) model to predict mass transfer in fluid-fluid systems was developed using FEM based solver COMSOL 3.5a. The developed model can be used for any arbitrary fluid-fluid systems.
- Design of axial flow impellers for pumps using CFD and pump performance validation at actual test rig
- Design of centrifugal compressors for multiple vapor compression using CFD
- Optimization of design of Asymmetric Rotating Disc Contactors using CFD and implementation in industry
- Design of industrial scale fixed bed reactors using CFD and providing recommendation in design modifications
Experimental Fluid Dynamics (EFD Aspects)
- Characterization of steam generator (SG) under the design basis/ severe accident conditions in Nuclear Safety. The project involves experimental measurements of velocity and size of droplets using Laser Doppler Anaemometry, Phase Doppler Anaemometry and Shadowgraphy with the aim of finding a correlation for droplet retention in the SG.
- Particle Image Velocimetry measurements for understanding hydrodynamics during nucleate boiling in water pools.
- Hot Film Anemometry measurements for understanding the temperature characteristics during turbulent natural convection in water pools
- Process model for petrochemical plants using Aspen Plus to find opportunities for yield improvement.
- Kinetic modeling for the dehydrogenation reactions
- Rate-based modeling for seperation units
Heat Balance, sizing and cycle optimization of radial bed reactors
Peer Reviewed Journal
- R.T. Eiswirth, H.-J. Bart, A. A. Ganguli, E.Y. Kenig 2012, Experimental and numerical investigation of binary coalescence: Liquid bridge building and internal flow fields, Phys. Fluids 24, 062108.
- A.A. Ganguli, M.J. Sathe, A.B. Pandit, J.B. Joshi, P. Vijayan, 2010. Hydrodynamics and heat transfer characteristics of passive decay heat removal: CFD simulations and experimental measurements. Chemical Engineering Science. 65, 3457 - 3473
- E.K. Kenig, A.A. Ganguli, T. Atmakidis, P. Chasanis, 2011. A novel method to capture mass transfer phenomena at free fluid-fluid interfaces, Chemical Engineering and Processing, 50, 68-76
- A.A. Ganguli, E.K. Kenig, 2011. A CFD based approach to interfacial mass transfer at free gas-liquid interfaces. Chemical Engineering Science. 66, 3301 - 3308
- A.A. Ganguli, A.B. Pandit, J.B. Joshi, 2007. Numerical predictions of flow patterns due to natural convection in a vertical slot. Chemical Engineering Science, Volume 62, 4479-4495.
- A.A. Ganguli, S.K. Dahikar, M.S. Gandhi, J.B. Joshi, P. Vijayan 2013. Heat transfer and fluid flow in co-current downward steam condensation in vertical pipes - II: Comparison with published work, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 91, 971-991.
- M.S. Gandhi, A.A. Ganguli, J.B. Joshi, 2011. CFD simulations of steam distribution in a tube-header assembly with inlet from middle. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 90, 487 - 506
- A.A. Ganguli, A.G. Patel, N.K. Maheshwari, A.B. Pandit, 2008. Theoretical modeling of condensation of steam outside different vertical geometries (tube, flat plates) in the presence of non-condensable gases like air and helium. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 238, 2328-2340.
- A.A. Ganguli, A.B. Pandit, J.B. Joshi, 2009. CFD simulation of heat transfer in a two dimensional vertical enclosure. Chemical Engineering Research and Design,87, 711-727.
- A.A. Ganguli, E.K. Kenig, 2011. Prediction of interfacial mass transfer in liquid-liquid systems with moving interfaces. Chemical Engineering Transactions. 24, 1357 – 1362.
- A.A. Ganguli, A.B. Pandit, J.B. Joshi, P. Vijayan, 2011. Hydrodynamic and heat transfer characteristics of a centrally heated cylindrical enclosure: CFD simulations and experimental measurements. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 89, 2024 – 2037.
- A.A. Ganguli, A..S. Gudekar, A.B. Pandit, J.B. Joshi, 2011. A novel method to improve the energy efficiency of a cooking device via thermal insulation. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 90, 1212 - 1223
- R.T. Eiswirth, H.-J. Bart, A. A. Ganguli, E.Y. Kenig 2011, "Theoretical and experimental investigation of droplet-droplet coalescence phenomena", Proc. of International Solvent and Extraction Conference 2011, Santiago, Chile
- S.K. Dahikar, A.A. Ganguli, M.S. Gandhi, J.B. Joshi, P. Vijayan 2013. Heat transfer and fluid flow in co-current downward steam condensation in vertical pipes - I: CFD simulation and experimental measurements, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 91, 959-973
- A. A. Ganguli, A. B. Pandit, and J. B. Joshi Bubble Dynamics of a Single Condensing Vapor Bubble from Vertically Heated Wall in Subcooled Pool Boiling System: Experimental Measurements and CFD Simulations, 2012, doi:10.1155/2012/712986, International Journal of Chemical Engineering,
- J. B. Joshi, A. B. Pandit, S. B. Patel, R. S. Singhal, G. K. Bhide, K. V. Mariwala, Bhagwat A. D., S. P. Danao, A. A. Ganguli, A. S. Gudekar, P. V. Chavan, and Y. H. Shinde, 2012. Development of efficient designs of cooking systems - II: Computational fluid dynamics and optimization, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 51 , 1897–1922
- S.S. Das, A. K. Sahu, G. Padmakumar, A. A. Ganguli, 2012. CFD analysis of thermal stratification and sensitivity study of model parameters for k–ɛ model in a cylindrical hot plenum, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 250, 417 – 435
- Chinmay V. Rane, Arijit A. Ganguli, EkambaraKalekudithi, Raosaheb N. Patil, Jyeshtharaj B. Joshi and DoraiswamiRamkrishna, 2014. CFD simulation and comparison of industrial crystallizers, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 92, 2138 - 2156
- Punjabi S. B., Sahasrabudhe S.N., Ghorui S., Das A.K., Joshi N.K., Kothari D.C., Ganguli A.A., and Joshi J.B., Flow and temperature patterns in an inductively coupled plasma reactor: Experimental measurements and CFD simulations, AIChE Journal, 60, 3647 - 3664
- Ganguli, A, Patel AG, Maheshwari, NK and Pandit AB, 2005. Theoretical modeling of condensation of steam outside tubes, Chemcon 2005, Delhi, India
- Ganguli A,Tabib M.V., and Joshi, J.B. 2006, Flow patterns in a rectangular cavity, CFX conference, Bangalore, India
- Kenig EK and Ganguli AA, 2010, Model to predict mass transfer at fluid fluid interfaces, ISEP, Brazil
- Kenig EK and Ganguli AA, 2011, Model to predict mass transfer at fluid fluid interfaces, GLS conference, Portugal
- Eiswirth R, Bart J, Ganguli AA and Kenig EK, 2010, Droplet-droplet coalescence in liquid-liquid systems, Conference in Kaiserslautern, Germany
- Ganguli AA and Kenig EK, 2010, Model to predict droplet-droplet coalescence in liquid-liquid systems, Conference in Darmstadt, Germany
- Mathure PM, Ganguli AA and RaoEswar, A comparative study of heavy feed hydro processing using combination of reactors, Chemcon 2013, Mumbai, India
- Ganguli AA and Nair VN, Recent developments of reactor design in methane steam reforming, Catsymp 2015, Bhavnagar, India
- Reactors and reactor internal devices for dehydrogenation of hydrocarbons, ArijitGanguli, Vinod Nair and Bunama Ramsey, Patent Application Number 62/161,394, Patent filed on May 2015
- MTBE Process with Improved Specific C4 Consumption, Sunil S. Dhumal, SethuramanBalasubramaniyan, ArijitGanguli,Vinod S. Nair, Patent filed in Jan 2017
Part time lecturer in Bhabha Atomic Research Center (2011 – 2012)
Role: Engaging lecturers in teaching the basics of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to Scientific Officers and giving hands-on lab training on using commercial software of CFD.
Part time lecturer in Khalsa College of Science and Commerce for TYBSc Computer Science during the period (2001-2002):
Role: Engage lectures of System Analysis and design for TYBSc Computer Science Students. Helping out students in their final third year projects i.e. helping them in planning, executing and presenting their results.
Lecturer in education and training department in Pentasoft Technologies Ltd. (2001-2002)
Assistant Professor in School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (July 2018 - present)
Courses: Mass Transfer; Transport Phenomena.
Post Doctrate, Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland (Jan 2011 to July 2011)
Post Doctrate, University of Paderborn, Germany (Jun 2009 – Dec 2010)
Senior Engineer in Technoforce Solutions Ltd. (TFS) (Aug 2011 – Sept 2013)
Scientist in SABIC Research and Technology Pvt Ltd. (Oct 2013 - June 2018)
Assistant Professor in School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Ahmedabad University (July 2018 - present)
- SS Deshpande, AA Ganguli, 2012 Phase VI: Report on droplet measurements at the entrance and exit section of a steam generator dryer. TM- 42-12-03. Paul ScherrerInstitut, Switzerland, Villigen-PSI
- Arijit Ganguli, Vinod Nair, Bunama Ramsey, 2015, CFD study of horizontal fixed bed reactor, Internal Report number: 2015-STCB-CSBU-0130
- Arijit Ganguli, Dipabali Choudhary, Sunil Dhumal and Sethuraman Balasubramaniam, MTBE plant performance and optimization – Part 1, Internal Report number: 2016-STCB-CSBU-0090
- Arijit Ganguli and Sethuraman Balasubhramanium, Design of radial bed reactors for conversion of methane to benzene, Internal Report, 2015-STCB-CSBU-0136
- Sunil Dhumal and Arijit Ganguli, Overall technology evaluation for on purpose MTBE, Internal report number: 2015-STCB-CSBU-0100
- Arijit Ganguli, Dipabali Choudhary, Sunil Dhumal and Sethuraman Balasubramaniam IBDH Kinetics Evaluation and reaction mechanisms, Internal report number: 2016-STCB-CSBU-094
- Arijit Ganguli, Somali Al Mohammad, Dipabali Choudhary, Sunil Dhumal and Sethuraman Balasubramaniam, Benaskar Faysal MTBE plant performance improvement and optimization – Part 2A, Internal Report number: 2016-STCB-CSBU-0115
229, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
Ahmedabad Education Society FP. 4,
Near Commerce Six Roads,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380 009, India