Dr. Bijal Mehta has been actively involved with higher education institutions as an academician since the year 2004 with institutions namely the AMA as visiting faculty, IIM – A as Research Associate, the Gujarat University and the Ahmedabad University as a full time faculty. She has worked in industry in marketing, consulting and training areas for 4 years prior to joining the academic profession. Her industry experience at India and the south-east encompasses knowledge management, training & development and business development.
Bijal ‘s research work is primarily in the areas of Marketin Communication, Entrepreneurship and Services viz. Financial services, tourism and hospitality services , heritage management, and marketing on the digital and social media platforms. Qualitative and Mixed Methods Research interests her. She has written more than 15 research papers in various national and international publications, developed case studies and has published material in the form of chapter(s) in books on entrepreneurship and social media. She is on the Editorial Board and is associated as reviewer with National and International Journals. She is also guiding and mentoring candidates at the post graduate and doctoral level programmes. Bijal is an Alumna of the Assumption University of Thailand, the IIM-A Faculty Development Programme in Management (FDP-M) and has been to Cranfield University, Cambridge University and Polish Institute of Computer Sciences, Poland as an Academic Visitor from Ahmedabad University.
Research interests include:
-- Entrepreneurship and marketing for start-ups
-- Relevance of Digital Communication and Marketing for start-ups and service firms
-- Marketing of Tourism and Hospitality Services
-- Unique challenges for effective marketing of financial services
- Purpose and use of media channels by start-ups to build a brand. Bijal Mehta Co-author with Manmeet Kaur and Rasananda Panda. Paper presented and abstract published at the Conference on Brand Management (CBM 2016) IIT Delhi. April 2016
- Comparison of design and copy elements in tea advertising with focus on Sakal Newspapers at Pune. Bijal Mehta co-author with Suniti Vadalkar and Preeta Vyas. Paper presented and published at MICA ICMC 2016. February 2016.
- Emergence and Acceptance of Sharing Economy in India: Understanding through the Case of Airbnb. Bijal Mehta (co-author) with Rasananda Panda Surbhi Verma. International Journal of Online Marketing. Volume 5, Issue 3. 2015. Online link to preview: http://www.igi-global.com/article/emergence-and-acceptance-of-sharing-economy-in-india/141482
- Explorations and observations on restaurant service quality at branded and non-branded restaurants. Bijal Mehta. International Journal of Applied Services Marketing Perspectives. ISSN: 2279-0977 (PRINT) ISSN: 2279-0985 (ONLINE); IF- 2012: 3.23, IF-2013: 5.057, IF-2014: 5.871. April – June 2015
- Neuromarketing - Contour between the proximate and the ultimate level of consumer decision making” Bijal Mehta. Rasananda Panda . Paper IFRSA Business Review (a quarterly referred journal of Internatinal Forum of Researchers and Students Association). ISSN (Print) : 2249 –8168 ISSN (Online) : 2249 –5444. March 2015
- “Market Orientation and Internal Marketing” Bijal Mehta, Dhanya Joseph. Paper published in International Journal in Management and Social Science. Impact Factor 3.259. February 2015
- “Market Orientation and Internal Marketing” Bijal Mehta, Dhanya Joseph. Paper presented at AUCOM 2015, Ahmedabad University February 6th-7th 2015.
- Essence of Social Entrepreneurship: Jayshree Industries a Case Study” Bijal Mehta, Anjali Choksi. Paper presented and published in the Eleventh Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI). February 18th – 20th 2015.
- “"Neuromarketing - Contour between the proximate and the ultimate level of consumer decision making” Bijal Mehta. Rasananda Panda. Paper presented in the International Marketing Conference themed “Emerging Markets, Evolving Perspectives” International Management Institute – Kolkata. on 16-17th December 2014.
- Use of the Internet by Indian Travelers in the Travel Cycle (TC)” Bijal Mehta. Paper accepted for publication in the International Conference on Management and Information Systems (ICMIS 2014) at Bangkok – August 2014.
- ” Bijal Mehta and Monali C. paper published in the Indian Journal of Applied Research. (Double Reviewed Indexed Journal) in the March 2014 issue.
- “SMAC Technologies in Services Industry” Bijal Mehta. Paper accepted for presentation (in absentia) and publication in International Conference on Technology and Business Management (ICTBM 2014) at Dubai – March 2014. ISBN: 978-81-924713-6-5
- Entrepreneurship Ecosystem in Gujarat- Bijal Mehta & Hetal Jhaveri paper published in edited book “entrepreneurship in the era of globalization” Published by Sunmarg Publishers and Distributors New Delhi March 2014
- An IIM-A sponsored research on “conceptualization, planning and management of Ahmedabad Heritage” – December 2012. Bijal Mehta; Paragi Shah. Manuscript submitted for review.
- Case Study on “CNX Jeans Ltd.” – published in the Case Collection of FDP – IIMA. September 2012
- “ A study investigating behavioural nature of an Entrepreneur – An Indian perspective” Bijal Mehta & Paragi Shah paper published in Zenith International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research (online ISSN number 2231-5780; June 2012
- EBOs vs. MBOs: Men’s Readymade Garment Retail Formats Preferences” Bijal Mehta & Paragi Shah ,paper published in the 2nd National Conference on Managing for Tomorrow at Amrut Mody School of Management – Ahmedabad University. April 14 – 15 2012 ISBN Number 978 – 81 – 922983-2-0
- “Effect of sales promotions and their availability on consumers’ buying behavior: a perspective on personal hygiene products” Bijal Mehta and Paragi Shah. Paper published in the Indian Journal of Marketing in November 2012 ISSN Number 2012 0973 - 8703
- “Bodal Chemicals – Expansion through Integration” Bijal Mehta. Case written with support from company. July 2010
- “Comparison of retention measures in the life insurance companies at India – perspective on the role of HR and Non-HR professionals in retention measures” – Bijal Mehta and Dr. Ekta Sharma – paper presented at State Level Conference on Retention Strategies at AES Post Graduate Institute of Business Management – Ahmedabad September 2009
- Bijal Mehta Falguni Pandya Paper accepted for 1st Annual Conference on Business and Management 19th to 21st March 2009 - Haryana School of Business, Haryana Published by Vayu Education India Ltd.
- “Study of awareness and level of satisfaction of employees from banks at Gujarat on selling life assurance policies through their Bank” Bijal Mehta, Falguni Pandya Paper accepted at 1st Annual Conference on Business and Management - 19th to 21st March 2009 Haryana School of Business, Haryana
- “Women Entrepreneurs in the fashion design industry at Ahmedabad Issues, Challenges and Progress Path” Bijal Mehta, Paragi Shah. Paper accepted for presentation at Entrepreneurship Development Institute – Gandhinagar. Paper accepted for presentation in Bi-Annual Conference. March 2009
- “Leverage analysis and its impact on corporate performance” Bijal Mehta. Falguni Pandya. Paper accepted for presentation and publication in conference proceedings by IES International Finance Conference - Indian Education Society’s Management College and Research Centre, Mumbai. 5th -7th February, 2009.
- “A study of the broker’s perception as distributors of life insurance products for companies – based on perceptual mapping technique – Bijal Mehta & Shubhra Aanand. Paper presented and published at International Conference on Marketing Paradigms for emerging economies. IIM-A Jan 2009.
- “Operational and Regulatory Concerns of Bancassurance at India” – Bijal Mehta & Falguni Pandya. Paper accepted and published in proceedings at National Conference - Saintgits Institute of Management – June 2008. ISBN Number:81-907196-2-9
- “Study of Need Analyzer tools used by life insurance companies for the Indian market” – Bijal Mehta & Shubhra Aanand. paper included in the Professional Reference Book of ICFAI on "IUP on Life Insurance in India : Recent Developments" – May 2008
- “Study of Need Analyzer tools used by life insurance companies for the Indian market” – Bijal Mehta & Shubhra Aanand. Paper published in the “Insurance Chronicle” -ICFAI. February 2007
- “Bancassurance – selling insurance through the banking channel. How beneficial is it for companies and customers?” - Bijal Mehta. Paper published at G.H Patel Institute of Business Management National Conference – January 2007.
- “Paradigm Shift in the Indian Retail Sector” – Bijal Mehta. Paper accepted at Madras University for National Conference - Feb 2006.
- “Empirical Study on the perception of brokers for Life Insurance Companies” – Bijal Mehta & Shubhra Aanand. Paper accepted at National Conference at Vishwakarma Institute of Management – Pune. March 2006.
- Classification of empirical work on sales promotion: a synthesis for managerial decision making. Bijal Mehta Preeta Vyas. http://vslir.iimahd.ernet.in:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/5945Working Paper. Year 2004
- Case Study on Shopper’s Stop published for IIM A – Year 2004
- Case Study on Reliance Infocom published for IIM A – Year 2004
- Case Study on Australia Tourism published in “MICA Communications Review” – Year 2004
- Article published in DNA – “Managerial Skill development critical for entrepreneurs and family businesses”. 9th June 2015
- Article published in DNA – Education on “Need for better educationists” 26th May 2015
Bijal has taught courses as follows:
- Marketing Management
-Sales and Distribution Management
- Advertising and Sales Promotion Management
-Tourism and Hospitality Management
-Marketing of Financial Services
-Qualitative Research Methods (Offered and taught the course for PG and Doctoral programme students)
In-Charge - Doctoral Programme in Management AMSOM
Coordinator - Marketing Area AMSOM
Coordinator - Research Seminar Series AMSOM
--Resource Person in the U.G.C sponsored STC on Excellence in Research Methodology and Data Analysis (28/09/16 to 30/09/16) for University and College Teachers.
--Co-Chair for the National Youth Summit on Education - Gujarat University January 2016
--Resource Person for the session on “Exercise on Content Analysis” at the FDP on Qualitative Research conducted by N R Institute of Business Administration in collaboration with GLS Center for Research and Development ,18 – 20 December 2014
At Ahmedabad University:
- FDP Coordinator for FDP on How to write an effective case – AMSoM PGIM –Ahmedabad University – January 2011
- FDP Coordinator for the Case Method of Teaching and Learning – AMSoM PGIM Ahmedabad University - December 2010
- Conference Coordinator for the 3rd National Conference on “Managing for Tomorrow- issues & challenges” held in 2014.
- Conference Coordinator for the 2nd National Conference on “Managing for Tomorrow- Emerging challenges for Indian Businesses” April 2012
- Conference Coordinator for the First National Conference on “Managing for tomorrow” at AMSOM – Ahmedabad University January 2010
Research and Reviewership related:
- Advisor: www.mendley.com
- Reviewer–International Journal of Scientific Research & Management–since March 2016
- Review Committee Member - 1st International Conference on Advances in Science and Engineering 2015 (iCase2k15) tentatively scheduled in January 2015 at SVBIT Gandhinagar, Gujarat India
- PhD Supervisor / Co-supervisor at ICFAI-Jharkhand.
- Doctoral Thesis Examiner for various universities.
- Supervisor for Master’s Degree dissertation for IGNOU enrolled MBA Candidate. Candidate awarded the degree in 2015
- Reviewer for Academy of Management (www.aom.org) NY Annual Meeting to be held in August 2016.
- Member in Board of Reviewers - MERC Global's International Journal of Management since August 2014
- ‘Associate Editor’ Pezzottaite Journals since May 2014.
- Board Members & Review Panel of The SIJ Transactions on Industrial, Financial & Business Management (IFBM) – Standard International Journals.
- External Reviewer for Apeejay Journal on Management – Jalandhar since September 2011
- Visited the Cranfield Univesity and Cambridge University in the months of Nov - Dec 2016 as an Academic Visitor through the Academic Immersion Program from Ahmedabad University.
- Visited XLRI Jamshedpur for the MAXI Fair 2015 to derive important insights on the same.
- Attended workshop on “Bibliometric tools and techniques” at All India Management Association , New Delhi 25-26 July 2014
- Attended an FDP on Research Methods at AMSoM – December 2013.
- Attended a Strategy Simulation Workshop at IIM – A in August 2012
- Attended FDP on “Personal Growth” at E-MBA – AMSoM. January to March 2011
- Attended FDP on “Management Science” at E-MBA – AMSoM.
- Attended two workshops on the case method of teaching and learning at AMSOM PGIM – December 2010 and January 2011.
- Attended the “Planning and Strategy Workshop” at AMSoM PGIM – January 2011
- Attended the Ahmedabad University Youth Conference on “Demographic Dividend” March 2011
- Attended a seminar on branding by Mr. Piyush Pandey O & M – October 2010
- Attended a two day workshop on Academic and Administrative Audit (AAA) held by the Knowledge Consortium of Gujarat” in October 2010.
- “Marketing Paradigms for emerging economies – IIM Ahmedabad January 2009
- Third National Case Writing Workshop – Nirma University 9 – 11 June 2008.
- UGC Supported workshop on Data mining at B.K School of Business Management – 17 /18 March 2008.
- ICFAI – 2 days Communication and Stress Management workshop – November 2007.