Distinguished Professor and Dean, Graduate School and Research
PhD ( University of Pittsburgh)
Research Interests: Micro Structured Reactors, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Catalysis, Pyrolysis Of Hydrocarbons , Petroleum Processing.
Professor Deepak Kunzru superannuated as Professor of Chemical Engineering from IIT Kanpur where he was a faculty since 1974. He was earlier the Chevron Chair Professor at IIT Kanpur. He received his B.Tech. from IIT Kanpur in 1968 and Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh,U.S.A. in 1972.He was a Visiting Professor in the Dept.of Chemical Engineering, MIT, U.S.A during Sept-Dec.2009.Professor Kunzru’s main research interests are in the area of microstructured reactors, chemical reaction engineering, pyrolysis of hydrocarbons and petroleum processing. He has published more than 100 papers in reputed international journals and has edited one book. His current research focuses on the use of monolithic reactors for gas-liquid reactions and steam reforming of methane, production of hydrogen from ethanol in microchannel reactors and the development of catalysts for hydrodesulfurization.
Professor Kunzru has served as Head, Dept. of Chemical Engineering (1998-2000), Dean, Resource Planning and Generation (2000-2002) and Dean, Research & Development (2002-2005) at IIT Kanpur and as expert in several national committees.He was Chairman of the Programme Advisory Committee (Chemical Engineering and Environmental Engineering) of Science and Engineering Research Board, N. Delhi from 2015 to 2018 , Independent Director of Green Gas Ltd from 2015-2018 and Member, Board of Governors, Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology from 2007-16. He has been elected as Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering (2002) and the National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad (2009), and has been a recipient of the Herdillia Award, IIChE ( 1992), Kuloor Memorial Award , IIChE (1999,2015) ,the G.M. Abhyankar Memorial Distinguished Fellowship in Chemical Engineering, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai for 2010-2011 and Sartorius India Chemcon Distinguished Speaker Award ,2018 of IIChE.
The following sponsored projects have been completed under my supervision:
Books and Book Chapters
100. R.Singh and D.Kunzru, ‘Hydrodesulfurization of Dibenzothiophene on NiMo /g- Al2O3 Washcoated Monoliths’, Fuel 163,180-188, 2016.
101. R.Singh, D.Kunzru and S.Sivakumar, ‘Monodispersed Ultrasmall NiMo Metal oxide Nanoclusters as Hydrodesulfurization Catalyst’, Applied Catal.B : Environmental
102. R.Singh, D.Kunzru and S.Sivakumar, ‘ Co-promoted MoO3 Nanoclusters for Hydrodesulfurization’ Catalysis Science & Technology 6 (15),5949-5960,2016 .
103. S. Katheria, A. Gupta, G. Deo and D. Kunzru , ‘Effect of Calcination Temperature on Stability and Activity of Ni/MgAl2O4 Catalyst for Steam Reforming of Methane at
High Pressure Condition’, Int. J .Hydrogen Energy 41 (32), 14123-14132,2016.
104. J.Kumar, G.Deo and D.Kunzru, ‘Preferential oxidation of carbon monoxide on Pt/γ- Al2O3 catalyst: Effect of adding ceria and nickel’, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy
41(41), 18494-18501, 2016 .
105. S.Katheria, G.Deo and D.Kunzru, ‘Washcoating of Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst on FeCralloy monoliths for steam reforming of methane’, Energy & Fuels 31(3),
3143- 3153, 2017.
106. V.K.Jaiswar, S.Katheria, G.Deo and D.Kunzru, ‘ Effect of Pt doping on activity and stability of Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst for steam reforming of methane at high pressure
condition’, Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 42,18968-18976, 2017 .
107.S.Katheria, D.Kunzru and G.Deo, ‘Rh-Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst for steam reforming of methane: Effect of Rh doping, calcination temperature and its application on metal
monoliths’, Applied Catalysis : General 570, 308-318,2019.
108. R.Singh, S.Arora, D.Kunzru and S.Sivakumar, ‘Ultrasmall Ni-promoted WS2 nanocatalyst with enhanced number of edge atoms for hydrodesulfurization’, Energy
& Fuels , 34(1), 749-757,2020.
109. S.Katheria, D.Kunzru and G.Deo, ‘Kinetics of steam reforming of methane on Rh- Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst’, Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis, 130(1),91-101,
110. R.Singh, D.Kunzru and S.Sivakumar,‘Enhanced catalytic activity of ultrasmall NiMoW trimetallic nanocatalyst for hydrodesulfurization of fuels’, Fuel, 288, 119603,
111. S.Mundotiya, R.Singh , R. Kakkar, S. Pal, S. Saha, D. Kunzru, R.Pala and S. Sivakumar, ‘Effect of Sodium on Ni-promoted MoS₂ Catalyst for
Hydrodesulfurization Reaction: A Combined Experimental and Simulation Study’, Energy & Fuels, 35 (3), 2368-2378,2021.
40. P.Laxmi Prasad Rao and D.Kunzru, ‘Compact Microfuel Processor for Hydrogen Production from Ethanol’, Chemcon-2011,Bangalore,Dec.27-29,2011.
41. B.Mitra and D.Kunzru, ‘Process Intensification of Disproportionation of Toluene using Microstructured Reactors’, 12th International Conference on Microreaction Technology, Lyon, France, Feb.20-22,2012.
42. N.R.Peela, A.S.Sanduptla, P.Laxmi Prasad Rao and D.Kunzru, ‘Hydrogen Production from Ethanol in a Microchannel Reactor’, International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environmental Protection, Dublin, Ireland, June 5-8,2012.
43. J.Kumar and D.Kunzru, ‘Preferential Oxidation of Carbon Monoxide on Pt/gamma-Al2O3 Catalyst in a Micro-packed Bed Reactor’, Chemcon-2012,Jalandhar,Dec.27-30,2012
44. P.Varshney, S.K.Gupta and D.Kunzru, ‘Multigrain Catalyst Model for Active-matrix Zeolite FCC Catalysts:Modeling of Riser Reactor and Resid Cracking’, Energy System Modeling and Optimization Conference (ESMOC2013), Durgapur,Dec.9-11,2013.
45. R.Singh, D.Kunzru and S.Sivakumar, ‘Synthesis of CoMo/γAl2O3 Catalyst for Hydrodesulfurization using Colloidal Synthesis’, Chemcon-2013, Mumbai, Dec.27-30, 2013.
46. S.Pal, R.Singh, S.Sivakumar and D.Kunzru, ‘Synthesis of Ni-Mo/γ-Al2O3 nanocatalyst for hydrodesulfurization via reverse micelle route’, International Conference on Nanotechnology (Nanocon 014),Pune, Oct.14-15,2014 .
47. R.Singh, D.Kunzru and S.Sivakumar, ‘Synthesis of NiMo/γAl2O3 Catalyst for Hydrodesulfurization using Colloidal Synthesis’, AIChE Annual Meeting, Atlanta,USA,Nov.16-21,2014.
48. S.Pal, R.Singh, S.Sivakumar and D.Kunzru, ‘Reverse Micelle Synthesis of Ni-Mo Nanoclusters supported on g-Al2O3 as Hydrodesulfurization Catalyst : effect of sodium’, Chemcon-2014, Chandigarh,Dec.27-30,2014.
49. S.Pal, R.Singh, S.Sivakumar and D.Kunzru, ‘ Preparation and Characterization of Nickel-Tungsten Nanoparticles using Microemulsion mediated Synthesis’, XIII International Conference on Nanotechnology, Singapore, March 29-30,2015.
50. D.Kunzru, ‘ Progress in Catalyst Development for Hydrogen Production by Ethanol Steam Reforming’, 1st Chemistry in Energy Conference, Edinburgh, UK, July 20-22,2015.
51. S.Katheria, A.Gupta, G.Deo and D.Kunzru, ‘Effect of Calcination Temperature on Stability and Activity of Ni/MgAl2O4 Catalyst for Steam Reforming of Methane’ 12th European Congress on Catalysis( EuropaCat-XII), Kazan, Russia, Aug.30-Sep.4, 2015.
52. S.Katheria, A.Gupta, G.Deo and D.Kunzru , ‘ Washcoating of FeCralloy metal monoliths with Ni/MgAl2O4’ , Chemcon 2015,Guwahati, Dec.27-30, 2015.
53. S.Katheria, A.Gupta, G.Deo and D.Kunzru , ‘ Washcoating of Ni/MgAl2O4 on metal monoliths for steam reforming of methane’, 5th International Conference on
Structured Catalysts and Reactors (ICOSAR 2016), Donostia-San Sebastian, Spain, June 22–24, 2016.
54. P.Srivastava, S.Katheria,V.Kumar, G.Deo and D.Kunzru, ‘Effect of adding noble and non-noble metals to Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst on the high pressure activity of steam
reforming of methane’, 7th Asia-Pacific Congress on Catalysis (APCAT-7), Mumbai, Jan.17-21,2017.
55.D.Kunzru, Keynote lecture on ‘Monolith reactors for heterogeneous reactions’, International Conference on Petroleum, Chemical & Energy Challenges (APCEC-
2017), Jais, March 24-25th,2017.
56.S.Katheria,G.Deo and D.Kunzru, ‘Promotional effect of Rh on Ni/MgAl2O4 catalyst for steam reforming of methane:Effect of calcination temperature’, South East Asia
catalyst Conference (SAAC2017), Singapore, May 22-23,2017.
57. S.Katheria, D.Kunzru and G.Deo, ‘Steam reforming of methane (SRM) on metal monoliths containing Ni/MgAl2O4 catalysts’, 1st National Symposium on Chemical
Reaction Engineering, Pune, December 17-18,2018.
58. D.Kunzru, ‘Monolith Reactors for Intensification of Heterogeneous Reactions’, invited Chemcon Distinguished Speaker Award lecture, CHEMCON 2018, Jalandhar
59. D.Kunzru, ‘Heterogeneous Reactions in Microreactors for Sustainable Chemical Synthesis’, National Symposium on Green Chemistry and Technology for Sustainable
Development, Vidya Vallabhnagar, January 18-19,2019.
60. D.Kunzru, ‘Heterogeneous Reactions in Monolith Reactors for Process Intensification’, invited lecture in 17th National Workshop on Catalysis, New Delhi,
May 31-June 1, 2019.
61.D.Kunzru, Heterogeneous Catalytic Reactions in Monolith Reactors’, invited lecture in Advances in Chemical Engineering-2020’, Dehradun,Feb.5-7,2020.