Dr. Snigdha Khuntia is working as Assistant Professor at School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), Ahmedabad University. She has done her B.Tech in Chemical Engineering from IGIT Sarang, BPUT Orissa. Snigdha has done her M.Tech and Ph.D in Chemical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG). Her research areas are advanced oxidation processes, ozone based water/wastewater treatment, biosorption, adsorption, heavy metal removal from wastewater. Additional research includes mass transfer study of ozone, oxygen using millibubbles and microbubbles, kinetics and decomposition of ozone in water, synthesis of adsorbents for metal removal.
Current Research Interests
- Ozone based water/wastewater treatment
- Heavy metal removal from wastewater by chemical process
- Biosorption of heavy metals
- Fabrication of ozone contactor
- Hydrodynamic study of gas bubbles
Thesis Title: Reduction of hexavalent chromium using Spirilina sp. Biomass (Adviser: Dr. A. K. Golder).
- Performance of biosorption of Chromium using Spirulina sp. Biomass using batch and column study.
- Synthesis of algenate + biomass spherical beads and sorption study of Cr(V).
- Kinetic and thermodynamic study of biosoprtion
Thesis Title: Removal of ammonia, arsenic and dyestuff from water by ozone microbubbles (Adviser/s: Prof. Pallab Ghosh and Dr. Subrata K. Majumder).
- Performance of ozonation of water/wastewater.
- Mass transfer study of ozonation process.
- Performance calculation of pilot plants for bubble columns and microbubble systems.
- Investigation of oxidation mechanism of inorganic pollutants such as ammonia, and arsenic using ozone microbubbles.
- Investigation of oxidation mechanism of organic pollutants such as azo-dyes using ozone microbubbles.
- Qualitative and quantitative detection of hydroxyl radicals.
- Modification of activated carbon based adsorbents, synthesis of zirconium based adsorbents.
- Characterization of adsorbents to use in As(III) and As(V) adsorption.
- Modeling of experimental data obtained.
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., and Ghosh, P., Microbubble-aided water and wastewater purification: a review, Rev. Chem. Eng., 28, 191−221 (2012).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., and Ghosh, P., Removal of ammonia from water by ozone microbubbles, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52, 318−326 (2013).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., and Ghosh, P., Oxidation of As(III) to As(V) using ozone microbubbles, Chemosphere, 97, 120−124 (2014).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., and Ghosh, P., A pilot plant study of the degradation of Brilliant Green dye using ozone microbubbles: mechanism and kinetics of reaction, Environ. Technol., 36, 336−347 (2015).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., and Ghosh, P., Adsorption of As(V) on zirconium based adsorbents, Desalin. Water Treat., 57, 1766-1778(2016).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., and Ghosh, P., Quantitative prediction of generation of hydroxyl radicals from ozone microbubbles, Chem. Eng. Res. Des, 98, 231–239 (2015).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S.K., Ghosh, P., Catalytic ozonation of dye in a microbubble system: Hydroxyl radical contribution and effect of salt. J. Environ. Chem. Eng. 4, 2250–2258, (2016).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., Ghosh, P., 2015, Removal of Ammonia, Arsenic and Dyes from water by Ozone Microbubbles, ISBN: 978-3-659-77877-3.
- Khuntia, S., Sinha, M.K., Majumder S.K., Ghosh, P., Calculation of Hydroxyl Radical Concentration Using an Indirect Method-Effect of pH and Carbonate Ion, in Recent Advances in Chemical Engineering, Select Proceedings of ICACE 2015.
- Khuntia, S., Gagrai, M. K., Das C. and Golder, A. K., Effect of background ions on reduction of Cr (VI) to Cr (III) using saline water algae, Res. J. Chem. Environ., 15, 450−453 (2011).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., Ghosh, P., Enhanced oxidation of ammonia using ozone microbubbles, International Conference on Frontiers in Chemical Engineering (ICFCE-2013), NIT Rourkela, Odisha, India, 351−356, ISBN 978-93-80813-24-0, 09−11 December (2013).
- Khuntia, S. and Golder, A. K., Hexavalent chromium reduction by immobilized green microalgae in continuous treatment, 2nd International Conference on Algal Biorefinery (ICAB-2014): A potential source of food, feed, biochemicals, biofuels and biofertilizers, Technical University of Denmark, Lybgby, Denmark, August 27−29 (2014).
- Khuntia, S., Sinha, M. K., Majumder S. K., Ghosh, P., Calculation of hydroxyl radical concentration-An indirect method, International Conference on Advances in Chemical Engineering (ICACE-2015), NITK Surathkal, Karnataka, India, (Accepted) 20−22 December (2015).
- Sinha, M. K., Khuntia, S., Purkait, M. K., Preparation of Thermo Responsive PSF Ultrafiltration Membrane, with Cross Linked PVCL-co-PSF Copolymer for Easy Cleaning, International Conference on Advances in Chemical Engineering (ICACE-2015), NITK Surathkal, Karnataka, India, 20−22 December (2015).
- Khuntia, S., Majumder, S. K., Ghosh, P., Oxidation of Arsenic (III) in Ozone Assisted Microbubble System, 7th IWA Aspire Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 11–14 September (2017).
- Instrumentation and Process Control (2018)
- Membrane Science and Technology (Chemical) (2017-2018)
- Heat Transfer (Chemical) (2016-2017)
- Fluid Mechanics (Chemical and Mechanical) (2016)
- Power plant and mechanical operation (Chemical and Mechanical) (2015-2017)
- Chemical Engineering Lab 1 (Chemical) (2015-2018)
- Heat Transfer Lab (Chemical & Mechanical) (2016-2017)
- Member of AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers)
- Judge of the poster presentation in Student Outreach Program, CHEMTECH-2018, Ahmedabad 23-25th January 2018.
Reviewer for Journals
Environmental Chemistry Letters (Springer)
New Journal of Chemistry (Royal Society of Chemistry)
Water Science and Technology (IWA Publishing)
- Heat Transfer (Applications in Human Life and Nature), Shroff S.R. Rotary Institute of Chemical Technology, Ankleshwar, Gujarat, 04 May 2016.
- Nano materials and Application, Marwadi Education Foundation Group of Institutes, Rajkot, Gujarat, 16 September 2016.
234, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
Ahmedabad Education Society FP. 4,
Near Commerce Six Roads,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380 009, India