Dr. Dharmesh Varade is working as an Associate Professor at School of Engineering & Applied Sciences (SEAS), Ahmedabad University since Sep 8, 2014. Earlier, he worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher at several reputed institutes abroad like Kawamura Institute of Chemical Research, Japan (Mar 2011- Mar 2014), University of Parix XI, France (Sep 2009-Aug 2010), University College Dublin, Ireland (June 2008-Dec 2008), and Yokohama National University, Japan (July 2005-Mar 2008). He also worked as Research Associate in CSIR Project during April 2003 to June 2005 at VNSGU, Surat. His research areas are synthesis and characterization of Nanomaterials, Nanocomposites, Wormlike Micelles, Foams, and Microemulsions. He has published more than fifty research papers in international peer-reviewed journals with Total citation till 2016: >1250, and h index: 20. He is an active member of review committees of leading journals of ACS and Elsevier. He has presented his research papers in more than 10 different countries and was also awarded the prestigious JSPS postdoctoral fellowship from Japan government.
Major Research Projects and Achievements
Project: Inorganic Layered Materials: New Opportunities for Nanomaterial Synthesis and Novel Multifunctional Catalyst Design.
(Kawamura Institute of Chemical Research, Japan, Supervisor: Dr. K. Haraguchi)
Inorganic layered materials (clay, LDH etc.) are of boundless interest as functional constituents in the scientific field owing to their attractive properties. Integration of noble metals with layered materials might present very special features in the new hybrids, useful, for example in catalysis, sensors and so on. Applicant has developed a novel synthetic route to versatile Pt/Clay system with Pt NCs (2-5 nm) via clay-mediated in situ reduction under mild conditions, without using any organic modifiers. These Pt/Clay nanocomposites features a very large surface area (>350 m2/g), and ultra-high thermal stability around 1000 oC. Moreover, applicant in collaboration with National Institute of Materials Science (NIMS; Japan) has also reported the outstanding CO oxidation catalytic activity of Pt/Clay nanocomposite in terms of improved agglomeration tolerance at high temperature attributed to the clay supporting material . Hence, such functional nanocomposites can be considered appropriate for varied prospective applications, for example, as a cutting-edge nanocatalyst.
JSPS Fellowship Project: “Study on the Formation Mechanisms of Wormlike Micelles and Microemulsions”.
(Yokohama National University, Japan. Supervisor: Prof. H. Kunieda & Prof. K. Aramaki).
Contributions have also been made in the areas of the formulations of wormlike micelles in nonionic surfactants based on cholesterol and polysorbates (first report). Such charge free surfactants systems were successfully utilized in cosmetics and personal care products. Additionally, development of thermo-responsive wormlike micelles having huge capability as smart materials has generated a profound interest among the researcher working in this area. Combining several techniques like rheology, DLS, SAXS and SANS, applicant was able to explain the dynamics and structural properties of the micellar systems. Apart from this, he also made a substantial contribution in developing surfactant based formulations for industrial applications (L’Oreal, Shiseido cosmetics).
Project: “Superstable Foams and Rheological Properties of Surfactant Systems” (Universite Paris-Sud, France, Supervisor: Dr. Dominique Langevin) & (University College Dublin, Supervisor: Prof. Cosima Stubenrauch)
Applicant explored the foaming properties (ability and stability) of aqueous surfactant foams. He was able to make for the first time super-stable aqueous foams stabilized by surfactant vesicles (Soft Matter 2009, 2011). Demonstrating the key role of vesicles in stabilizing the aqueous foams for few months has certainly added a profound understanding in foaming properties and provides important implications and a new conceptual framework in applications.
SELECTED INTERNATIONAL PUBLICATIONS:
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K. Clay-supported Novel Bimetallic Core–Shell Co-Pt and Ni-Pt Nanocrystals with High Catalytic Activities (2014) Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014, 16 (47), 25770 - 25774 (IF: 4.449). DOI: 10.1039/C4CP04194A
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K. Novel Bimetallic Core–Shell Nanocrystal/Clay Composites with Superior Catalytic Activities (2014) Chem. Commun., 50, 3014-3017, (IF:6.567). DOI: 10.1039/c3cc49110b.
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K. Preparation and Characterization of Highly Planar Flexible Silver Crystal Belts (2014) Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 16, 880-884. (IF: 4.449). DOI: 10.1039/c3cp54214a.
- Varade, D., Abe, H., Yamauchi, Y., Haraguchi, K. Superior CO Catalytic Oxidation on Novel Pt/Clay Nanocomposites (2013) ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5, 11613-11617 , (IF: 7.145), DOI: 10.1021/am402998q
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K. Super-thermostable platinum nanoparticles on fluorinated clay (2013) Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 15, 16477-16480. (IF: 4.449), DOI: 10.1039/c3cp52938j.
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K. Synthesis of Highly Active and Thermally Stable Nanostructured Pt/Clay Materials by Clay Mediated In Situ Reduction (2013) Langmuir, 29, 1977−1984. (IF: 3.993), DOI: 10.1021/la3044945
- Arriaga, L.R., Varade, D., Carriere, D., Drenckhan, W., Langevin, D. Surface rheology of catanionic layers adsorbed from solid-like vesicles and their role on foam stability, (2013) Langmuir, 29, 3214−3222. (IF: 3.993) DOI: 10.1021/la304868n
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K., Efficient Approach for Preparing Gold Nanoparticles in Layered Double Hydroxide: Synthesis, Structure, and Properties (2012) J. Mater. Chem. 22, 17649-17655. (IF: 5.96) DOI: 10.1039/C2JM31993D
- Varade, D., Haraguchi, K., One-pot Synthesis of Noble Metal Nanoparticles and their Ordered Self-Assembly Nanostructures (2012) Soft Matter 8 (14), 3743-3746. (IF: 3.798) DOI: 10.1039/C2SM07004A
- Varade, D., Carriere, D., Arriaga, L.R., Fameau, A.-L., Rio, E., Langevin, D., Drenckhan, W. On the origin of the stability of foams made from catanionic surfactant mixtures (2011) Soft Matter, 7 (14), pp. 6557-6570. (IF: 3.798) DOI: 10.1039/C1SM05374D
- Shrestha, L.K., Sato, T., Varade, D., Aramaki, K. Effect of polyol on the structure of nonionic surfactant reverse micelles in glycerol monoisostearate/decane systems (2010) Langmuir, 26 (5), pp. 3115-3120. (IF: 3.993) DOI: 10.1021/la9030602.
- Stubenrauch, C., Shrestha, L.K., Varade, D., Johansson, I., Olanya, G., Aramaki, K., Claesson, P. Aqueous foams stabilized by n-dodecyl-β-d-maltoside, hexaethyleneglycol monododecyl ether, and their 1: 1 mixture (2009) Soft Matter, 5 (16), pp. 3070-3080. (IF: 3.798) DOI: 10.1039/B903125A
- Shrestha, L.K., Shrestha, R.G., Varade, D., Aramaki, K. Tunable parameters for the structural control of reverse micelles in glycerol monoisostearate/oil systems: A SAXS study (2009) Langmuir, 25 (8), pp. 4435-4442. (IF: 3.993) DOI: 10.1021/la8039225
- Varade, D., Aramaki, K., Stubenrauch, C. Phase diagrams of water-alkyltrimethylammonium bromide systems (2008) Colloids and Surfaces A: 315 (1-3), pp. 205-209. (IF: 2.760) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2007.07.031,
- Varade, D., Rodríguez-Abreu, C., Delgado, J.G., Aramaki, K. Viscoelasticity and mass transfer in phenol-CTAB aqueous systems (2007) Colloid and Polymer Science, 285 (15), pp. 1741-1747. (IF: 1.890) DOI10.1007/s00396-007-1761-2
- Varade, D., Sharma, S.C., Aramaki, K. Viscoelastic behavior of surfactants worm-like micellar solution in the presence of alkanolamide (2007) J. Colloid and Interface Science, 313 (2), pp. 680-685. (IF: 3.782) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2007.04.065,
- Varade, D., Rodríguez-Abreu, C., Shrestha, L.K., Aramaki, K. Wormlike micelles in mixed surfactant systems: Effect of cosolvents (2007) J. Phys. Chem. B, 111 (35), pp. 10438-10447. (IF: 3.187) DOI: 10.1021/jp0740999
- Varade, D., Ushiyama, K., Shrestha, L.K., Aramaki, K. Wormlike micelles in Tween-80/CmEO3 mixed nonionic surfactant systems in aqueous media (2007) J. Colloid and Interface Science, 312 (2), pp. 489-497. (IF: 3.782) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2007.02.090,
- Varade, D., Kunieda, H., Strey, R., Stubenrauch, C. Disconnected lamellar phases (Lα) in pseudobinary water-non-ionic surfactant systems: A general phenomenon (2006) J. Colloid and Interface Science, 300 (1), pp. 338-347. (IF: 3.782) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.03.083,
- Varade, D., Joshi, T., Aswal, V.K., Goyal, P.S., Hassan, P.A., Bahadur, P. Micellar behavior of mixtures of sodium dodecyl sulfate and dodecyldimethylamine oxide in aqueous solutions (2005) Colloids and Surfaces A, 259 (1-3), pp. 103-109. (IF: 2.760) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2005.02.019
- Varade, D., Joshi, T., Aswal, V.K., Goyal, P.S., Hassan, P.A., Bahadur, P. Effect of salt on the micelles of cetyl pyridinium chloride (2005) Colloids and Surfaces A, 259 (1-3), pp. 95-101. (IF: 2.760) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2005.02.018
- Varade, D., Sharma, R., Aswal, V.K., Goyal, P.S., Bahadur, P. Effect of hydrotropes on the solution behavior of PEO/PPO/PEO block copolymer L62 in aqueous solutions (2004) European Polymer Journal, 40 (11), pp. 2457-2464. (IF: 3.485) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2004.06.022,
Organic Chemistry, General Chemistry, Surface Science & Nanotechnology
129, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
Ahmedabad Education Society FP. 4,
Near Commerce Six Roads,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380 009, India