Deepak Verma is working as Assistant Professor at School of Engineering and Applied Science, Ahmedabad University. He received M. Sc. Degree in Physics from IIT Roorkee (University of Roorkee) in 2000, M. Tech. Degree in Energy Management from Devi Ahilya Vishwa Vidyalaya, Indore in 2002, and Ph. D. from IIT Delhi in 2009. He has more than 4 years of post-doctoral research experience on photovoltaic materials, Kelvin probe force microscopy and photovoltaic systems. Before joining Ahmedabad University, he was working as a postdoctoral research fellow with the Department of Engineering & Science, University of Agder, Norway from 2010 to 2013 and Institute of Physics, Praha, Czech Republic from 2013 to 2014.
Current Research Interests
Deposition and Characterization of Perovskite thin-film solar cell Research efforts are mainly focussed on designing new materials, the understanding mechanism underlying towards improving the efficiencies, design, and development of novel solar cell structures. In spite of all these efforts made by the scientist all over the world, the stability and the preparation of the layers are perhaps the main factors preventing the commercialization of this technology. Perovskite crystal structure decomposed upon exposure to humidity. There is evidence of the weak performance of the solar cell at elevated temperature and under UV light exposure. An encapsulated PSC will work only for a few hours under illumination. Hence, more efforts experimentally & theoretically are required to understand the failure and degradation mechanism towards improving the performance of the large area perovskite photovoltaic cell.
Photovoltaic System performance analysis The project will deliver results relevant for photovoltaic power plant designing and installation, including small-scale PV systems. The project will also increase general awareness of the end-use of photovoltaic technology. The project will clearly bring out the facts which technology is best suitable for the given location over a period of time; it will give information regarding the stability and degradation of different PV systems in the long run. It is an important aspect of PV engineers. There are several PV systems have been installed across India, but the present system will give the comparative data of different types of PV modules at one particular location under real outdoor conditions, which will provide useful information for other installations in neighboring cities.
- Deposition and Characterization of Perovskite thin-film solar cell, Ahmedabad University (start-up research grant)
- Role of Swift Heavy Ion On the Performance of Perovskite Solar Cell project in research collaboration with Dr. Pawan Kulariya, Scientist E, Inter-University Accelerator Centre, New Delhi, December 2016.
- Professor Micheal Heben, Wright Center for Photovoltaics Innovation and Commercialization, University of Toledo, USA.
- Professor Ratnamala Chatterjee, Department of Physics, IIT Delhi.
- Dr. Manoj Kaushik, Associate Professor from School of Technology, PDPU Gandhinagar.
- Dr. Pawan Kulariya, Inter-University Accelerator Center, New Delhi since November.
Postdoctoral Fellow Department of Thin Film and Nanostructure, Institute of Physics, Prague Czech Republic July 2013 –October 2014 Kelvin probe force microscopy measurements on organic-inorganic semiconductors and mixed-phase silicon samples.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Faculty of Engineering and Science, University of Agder, Grimstad, Norway January 2010- January 2013 outdoor photovoltaic modules’ performance & evaluation and degradation measurement, associated with the International Energy Agency (IEA) on Photovoltaic Power Systems.
Senior Project Scientist Photovoltaic Laboratory, Centre for Energy Studies, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India 8th July, 2009 -31th December 2009 “Design and fabrication of organic solar cells using organic-inorganic semiconductor hybrid absorbing layer.” designed a glove box for the fabrication of organic solar cell in a controlled environment and mentoring of masters & PhD students. Developed a system for deposition of organic semiconducting material’s thin films using spray technology.
Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, New Delhi, Jan 2003- August 2009 Discovered the role of dispersion science in getting the proper optical, surface morphological and electrical properties of hybrid absorbing layers for solar cell application. A hybrid layer consists of the dispersion of inorganic semiconductor nanoparticles in an organic semiconductor material. Organic semiconducting material’s thin-film based gas and humidity sensor were also fabricated and proven to be a good choice over a given sensing range. Utilized the following techniques like optical absorption, Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, Atomic force microscopy (AFM) Photoluminescence, HNMR, DLS, SEM, Cyclic Voltammetry and I-V measurement of solar cells. I also got experience in the deposition of inorganic semiconductor material’s thin films using spin coating, spray technology, and physical vapor deposition technique.
M. Tech., Major Project, Solar Energy Centre, Gurgaon, Indore, India 2002 An experimental step was designed at Solar Energy Centre to test the different type of commercially available charge controllers (constant voltage, constant current multistep charging, variable frequency and pulse width modulation) used in stand-alone photovoltaic systems under shallow cycle and deep cycle operations using CR 10 data logger (having a data storage module). The above study clearly shows that for reliable long-term operation of small capacity stand-alone PV systems, the best suited charged controller should be based on a pulse width modulated algorithm. Although the variable frequency algorithm could also perform better, the PWM technique has proven to be the best algorithm for this application.
- Abul Kalam, Abdullah G Al-Sehem, Apurba Mahapatra, Deepak Verma, Suverna Trivedi, Manoj Pandey, Identification of defects and defect energy distribution in the perovskite layer of MAPbI3-xClx perovskite solar cell, Materials Research Express 6, (2019), 105510.
- Zeel Purohit, Deepak Verma, and Brijesh Tripathi, Electro-analytical investigation of potential induced degradation in mc-silicon solar cells: case of sodium ion-induced inductive loop, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 20, (2018) 19168.
- Abul Kalam, Abdullah G Al-Sehemi, Deepak Verma, Brijesh Tripathi, and Manoj Kumar, Study of transport and recombination mechanism in hole transporter free perovskite solar cell, Materials Research Express 5, (2018) 105508.
- Deepak Verma and V. Dutta, Surfactant Free CdSe and CdSe-CdTe nanoparticles mixed MEH-PPV hybrid thin films deposited by spin coating technique Materials Research Express 4, (2017) 086404.
- Deepak Verma and V.Dutta, Bi-nanoparticles mixed Polyaniline hybrid thin films for solar cell application, Journal of Applied Physics 105 (2009) 034904.
- Deepak Verma and V.Dutta Nano-polyaniline thin films as Humidity Sensors prepared using spin coating technique, Sensor Letters 7, (2009) 143-147.
- Deepak Verma and V.Dutta Dispersion of CdX (X = Se, Te) nanoparticles in P3HT conjugated polymer, Renewable and Sustainable Energy 1, (2009) 023107.
- Deepak Verma, A.Ranga Rao, and V. Dutta Surfactant-free CdTe Nanoparticles mixed MEH-PPV hybrid solar cell deposited using spin coating technique, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 93, (2009) 1482.
- Deepak Verma and V. Dutta Role of the novel microstructure of polyaniline-CSA thin film in ammonia sensing at room temperature, Sensors and Actuator: Chemical B 134 (2008) 373.
- Deepak Verma and V. Dutta Novel microstructure in spin-coated Polyaniline thin films, J. Physics Condensed Matter 19 (2007) 186212.
Conferences / Symposia / Workshops
- Deepak Verma et.al., Application of Technology Enhanced Project-Based Cooperative Learning in Indian Higher Education” at International Seminar on New Education Policy and NAMODI framework (Nano Architecture Mobile Oriented Digital Institutes), held at Indira Gandhi National Tribal University (IGNTU), Amarkantak, M.P starting from 12th July, 2016 till 14 July, 2016. Oral Presentation.
- Deepak Verma, M. Tayyib, T.O. Sætre and Ole-Morten, Outdoor performance of 10-year-old a-Si and poly-Si modules in Southern Norway conditions, 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference held at convention center Austin Texas, USA ISSN: 0160-8371, pp. 002368 -002371 (2012) .
- Deepak Verma, M. Tayyib, T.O. Sætre and Ole-Morten, outdoor performance of north-facing multi-crystalline modules in Southern Norway, 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference held at convention center Austin Texas, USA, ISSN: 0160-8371, pp. 002372 – 002375 (2012).
- Deepak Verma, T.O. Sætre and Ole-Morten, Review on UP/Down conversion materials for solar cell application, 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference held at convention center Austin Texas, USA, ISSN: 0160-8371, pp. 002608 -002613 (2012) .
- Deepak Verma, Ole-Morten and T.O. Sætre, Review of photovoltaic status in European (EU) perspective, 37th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference held at Seattle USA, ISSN : 0160-8371 , pp.003292 -003297 (2011).
- Deepak Verma, Ole-Morten and T.O. Sætre A report on efficient hybrid solar cells, , 26th European Photovoltaic solar energy conference, held at Hamburg, Germany -2011.
- Deepak Verma, V.Dutta, Ole-Morten and T.O. Sætre, TiO2 nanoparticles mixed P3HT hybrid absorbing layer, 25th European Photovoltaic solar energy conference held at Valencia, Spain in the month of September 2010 (Poster presentation).
- Anne Gerd Imenes, Deepak Verma, Georgi Yordanov, Chee Lim Nge, Rune Strandberg, Thomas Meyer, Tor Oskar Sætre), Ole-Morten Midtgård Photovoltaic research in southern Norway,, RERC conference held at Thronheim, from 7-8 June 2010 Norway.
- V.Dutta, Deepak Verma and Shilpi Chaudhary, Use of Spray Technique for deposition of MEH-PPV and P3HT thin films, APA-2009, Polymer Congress, held at Indian Habitat Centre, New Delhi from 17-20 December 2009, India.
- Deepak Verma and V. Dutta, TiO2 nanoparticles mixed MEH-PPV hybrid thin films for solar cell application, Nanotech NSTI-2009, Huston USA-Accepted.
- Deepak Verma, V.Dutta Surfactant-free CdSe nanoparticles mixed MEH-PPV hybrid thin films, 18th PVSEC (Photovoltaic solar energy conference) Jan-2009, held at Kolkata, India (Oral Presentation).
- Deepak Verma, V.Dutta and O.S. Sastry Testing, performance monitoring and evaluation of charge controller for solar home lighting systems, , 18th PVSEC (Photovoltaic solar energy conference) Jan-2009, held at Kolkata, India (Oral Presentation).
- Deepak Verma, Ranga Rao And V.Dutta CdTe Nanoparticles Mixed MEH-PPV Thin Films For Solar Cell Applications, - Nanomeeting 2007.
- Deepak Verma and V. Dutta Nano-Polyaniline Thin Films Using Spin Coating Technique For Humidity Sensing, Nanoelectronic Devices for Defense & Security (NANO-DDS) Conference which is going to be held in the month of June, Virginia, USA, 2007.
- Deepak Verma, Ranga Rao and V.Dutta Hybrid absorber layer for solar cell based on nanoparticles of CdX (X = Se, Te) in organic semiconductors matrices,. SOLARIS-2007 (Oral Presentation).
- Deepak Verma and V. Dutta Room temperature ammonia sensing in spin-coated polyaniline thin films having novel microstructure, Encyclopedia of Advanced Materials: Science and Engineering, ICMAT 2007 held at Convention Center, Singapore -2007(Oral Presentation).
- V. Dutta, Deepak Verma, and K. Vamsi Krishna, Effect of thiourea concentration in the preparation of CdS nanoparticles embedded in CdO matrix using spray pyrolysis technique, ICONSAT held at New Delhi, 2006
- Deepak Verma and V.Dutta Deposition of Polyaniline thin films using electro-spinning technique, 17th Annual General Meeting of Material Research Society of India-2006 held from 12-02-06 to 15-02-06 at Lucknow (Poster presentation).
- V. Dutta, Deepak Verma and O.S. Sastry Performance analysis of a 100 kWP grid-connected photovoltaic system, 20th European photovoltaic solar energy conference and exhibition was held from 06-06-05 to 12-06-05 at Barcelona (Spain).
- Deepak Verma and V.Dutta Deposition and characterization of polyaniline thin films, , ACTON-2005 held at IIT Roorkee, 2005. (Poster presentation)
- V. Dutta and Deepak Verma Synthesis and Characterization of Polyaniline thin film, National conference on advanced materials and technology at Amritsar (India), 2004. (Oral Presentation).
- Preparation of CdS nanoparticles in semiconductor oxide CdO matrix using spray pyrolysis technique, NanaoTech -2004 was held in July at Singapore
- V. Dutta, Swati Agarwal, K. Vamsi Krishna, and Deepak Verma, Preparation of CdS nanoparticles in semiconductor oxide CdO matrix using dual spray pyrolysis technique, 12th International workshop on physics of semiconductor devices -2003 was held in December at IIT Madras (India) (Poster presentation).
- Deepak Verma, Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy measurements on Mixed phase Si:H thin film sample, 2014.
- Indian Photovoltaic Mission, 2010.
- Electromagnetic Theory
- Applied Physics
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Introduction to Materials Science and Engineering
- Environmental Studies
- Environment and Climate Change Studio (ECC): Behavioural and technological solutions (Renewable Energy Resources)
- B.Tech. Project Coordinator, School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS), since 2016.
- Member of AUSEC from SEAS, since 2018.
- Lifetime membership of Materials Research Society since 2016.
- Membership of IEEE Power & Energy Society since 2016
- Member of International Energy Agency (IEA) from Norway on subtask 13, 2010- 2011.
- Reviewer for international journals like Nanotechnology, Solar Energy, Sensors and Actuators: Chemical B, Applied Physics Letter, J. Of Applied Physics D, Journal of Molecular Structure, Solid State Sciences, Materials Science & Engineering B and Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells.
- Awarded 1st prize for oral presentation on “APPLICATION OF TECHNOLOGY ENHANCED PROJECT-BASED COOPERATIVE LEARNING IN INDIAN HIGHER EDUCATION” at International Seminar on New Education Policy and NAMODI framework (Nano Architecture Mobile Oriented Digital Institutes) held at Indira Gandhi National Tribal University (IGNTU), Amarkantak, M.P starting from 12th July, 2016 till 14 July, 2016.
- Recipient of MNRE fellowship during M. Tech in Energy Management.
- Recipient of MHRD fellowship during Ph.D.
- Postdoctoral research fellowship from University of Agder, Norway
- Postdoctoral research fellowship from Institute of Physics, Czech Republic.
- Awarded the grant from IIT Delhi to present the paper in ICMAT-2007, held at Singapore2007.
- Awarded the grant from University of Agder, Norway to discuss the Photovoltaic Power System and Testing issues held at Germany, Cologne, 2010.
- Awarded the grant from University of Agder, Norway to present the paper in 25th EUPVSEC held at held Valencia, Spain, 2010.
- Awarded the grant from University of Agder, Norway to discuss the Photovoltaic Power System and Testing issues held at Chambery, France, 2010.
- Awarded the grant from University of Agder, Norway to discuss the Photovoltaic Power System and Testing issues held at, Spain, 2011.
- Awarded the grant from Agder University to present the paper in IEEE-PVSC conference held at Austin, Texas, USA 2012.
230, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
Ahmedabad Education Society FP. 4,
Near Commerce Six Roads,
Navrangpura, Ahmedabad - 380 009, India