Souvik Sen Gupta is an Assistant Professor at Division of Biological & Life Sciences, Ahmedabad University. He did his Bachelors in Physiology from Calcutta University in 2003, Masters in Biotechnology from Calcutta University in 2005 and completed his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry of the parasite Leishmania in 2011 from Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, India. He moved to University of Aarhus, Denmark for postdoctoral studies and worked in the field of eukaryotic replication with yeast as a model organism. He returned to India in November 2012 and joined the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata, India as DBT Research Associate where his research was directed towards the identification of a novel DNA repair protein in Leishmania. He also worked as part-time lecturer and guest lecturer at Department of Microbiology, Asutosh College, Kolkata.
His doctoral research was based on topoisomerases and cell death of unicellular protozoan parasite Leishmania and he published his research work in peer-reviewed journals. During his postdoctoral tenure in University of Aarhus, Denmark, he gained significant exposure to yeast molecular biology and genetics. Later during his DBT-RA tenure, he worked in the field of Leishmania molecular biology. He also authored a book based on his doctoral research published by LAP Lambert Academic Publisher in 2012.
His research interests are in the field of molecular parasitology, DNA repair and topoisomerase targeted therapeutics.
- Das SK, Rehman I, Ghosh A, Sengupta S, Majumdar P, Jana B, Das BB. (2016) Poly(ADP-ribose) polymers regulate DNA topoisomerase I (Top1) nuclear dynamics and camptothecin sensitivity in living cells. Nucleic Acids Res.; 44(17):8363-8375. [IF: 8.808]
- Chowdhury S, Mukhopadhyay R, Saha S, Mishra A, Sengupta S, Roy S, Majumder HK. (2014) Flavone resistant Leishmania donovani over expresses LdMRP2 transporter in the parasite and activates host MRP2 on macrophages to circumvent the flavone-mediated cell death. J Biol Chem.; 289(23):16129-16147. [IF: 4.600]
- Das BB, Huang SY, Murai J, Rehman I, Amé JC, Sengupta S, Das SK, Majumdar P, Zhang H, Biard D, Majumder HK, Schreiber V, Pommier Y. (2014) PARP1-TDP1 coupling for the repair of topoisomerase I-induced DNA damage. Nucleic Acids Res.; 42(7):4435-49. [IF: 8.808]
- Chowdhury S, Mukherjee T, Chowdhury SR, Sengupta S, Mukhopadhyay S, Jaisankar P, Majumder HK. (2014) Disuccinyl betulin triggers Metacaspase Dependent Endonuclease G Mediated Cell death in Unicellular Protozoan Parasite Leishmania donovani. Antimicrob Agents Chemother.; 58(4):2186-2201. [IF: 4.451]
- , , , , , , , . (2013) MRX protects fork integrity at protein-DNA barriers, and its absence causes checkpoint activation dependent on chromatin context. Nucleic Acids Res.; 41(5):3173-89. [IF: 8.808]
- Chowdhury S, Mukherjee T, Mukhopadhyay R, Mukherjee B, Sengupta S, Chattopadhyay S, Jaisankar P, Roy S and Majumder HK. (2012) The Lignan Niranthin poisons Leishmania donovani topoisomerase IB and favours a Th1 immune response in mice. EMBO Mol. Med.; 4(10):1126-43. [IF: 8.245]
- Roy A, Chowdhury S, Sengupta S, Mandal M, Jaisankar P, D’Annessa I, Desideri A, Majumder HK. (2011) Development of Derivatives of 3,3’-Diindolylmethane as Potent Leishmania donovani Bi-Subunit Topoisomerase IB Poisons. PLoS ONE; 6(12):e28493, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0028493. [IF: 3.534]
- Chowdhury S, Mukherjee T, Sengupta S, Chowdhury SR, Mukhopadhyay S, Majumder HK. (2011) Novel Betulin Derivatives as Antileishmanial Agents with Mode of Action Targeting Type IB DNA Topoisomerase. Mol Pharmacol.; 80(4):694-703. [IF: 4.12]
- Sengupta S, Chowdhury S, BoseDasgupta S, Wright CW, Majumder HK. (2011) Cryptolepine induced cell death of Leishmania donovani promastigotes is augmented by inhibition of autophagy. Mol. Biol. Int.; doi:10.4061/2011/187850; Vol. 2011, Article ID – 187850.
- Sengupta S, Ganguly A, Roy A, BoseDasgupta S, D’Annessa I, Desideri A, Majumder HK. (2011) ATP independent type IB topoisomerase of Leishmania donovani is stimulated by ATP: An insight into the functional mechanism. Nucleic Acids Res.; 39(8):3295-309. [IF: 8.808]
- Vassallo O, Castelli S, Biswas A, Sengupta S, Das PK, D’Annessa I, Oteri F, Leoni A, Tagliatesta P, Majumder HK, Desideri A. (2011) Conjugated Eicosapentanoic Acid (cEPA) inhibits L. donovani Topoisomerase I and has an antiproliferative activity against L. donovani promastigotes. The Open Antimicrobial Agents Journal; 3:23-29.
- Misra P, Sashidhara KV, Singh SP, Kumar A, Gupta R, Chaudhaery SS, Gupta SS, Majumder H, Saxena AK, Dube A. (2010) 16alpha-Hydroxycleroda-3,13 (14)Z-dien-15,16-olide from Polyalthia longifolia: a safe and orally active antileishmanial agent. Br J Pharmacol.; 159(5):1143-50. [IF: 4.99]
- Ganguly A, Sengupta S, Bosedasgupta S, Roy A, Majumder HK. (2009) Mutational studies reveal lysine 352 on the large subunit is indispensable for catalytic activity of bi-subunit topoisomerase I from Leishmania donovani. Mol Biochem Parasitol.; 165(1):57-66. [IF: 2.243]
- BoseDasgupta S, Das BB, Sengupta S, Ganguly A, Roy A, Dey S, Tripathi G, Dinda B, Majumder HK. (2008) The caspase-independent algorithm of programmed cell death in Leishmania induced by baicalein: the role of LdEndoG, LdFEN-1 and LdTatD as a DNA 'degradesome'. Cell Death Differ.; 15(10):1629-40. [IF:8.385]
- Misra P, Khaliq T, Dixit A, Sengupta S, Samant M, Kumari S, Kumar A, Kushawaha PK, Majumder HK, Saxena AK, Narender T, Dube A. (2008) Antileishmanial activity mediated by apoptosis and structure-based target study of peganine hydrochloride dihydrate: an approach for rational drug design. J Antimicrob Chemother.; 62(5):998-1002. [IF: 8.385]
- Bosedasgupta S, Das BB, Sengupta S, Ganguly A, Roy A, Tripathi G and Majumder HK. (2008) Amino acids 39-456 of the large subunit and 210-262 of the small subunit constitute the minimal functionally interacting fragments of the unusual heterodimeric topoisomerase IB of Leishmania. Biochem J.; 409(2): 481-9. [IF: 4.779]
- Sen N, Banerjee B, Sengupta S, Das BB, Ganguly A and Majumder HK (2007) Leishmania donovani: dyskinetoplastid cells survive and proliferate in the presence of pyruvate and uridine but do not undergo apoptosis after treatment with camptothecin. Exp Parasitol.; 115: 215-9. [IF: 1.859]
- Souvik Sengupta, Benu Brata Das and Hemanta K. Majumder. (2016) Leishmania, the causative agent of Kala Azar: DNA transaction enzymes as possible drug targets. Recent Advances in Communicable and Non-communicable Diseases (ISBN 978-93-81891-31-5), Asis Datta and V.P. Sharma (Eds., The National Academy of Sciences, India), New Delhi, Capital Publishing Company, pp. 227-243.
Author of the book entitled ‘Leishmania donovani: A journey with unusual bisubunit type IB topoisomerase and cell death of this unicellular protozoan parasite’, published by ‘LAP Lambert Academic Publishing’, ISBN 978-3-8465-9454-4.
Teaching the following subjects:
2. Human Physiology
3. Molecular Biology
4. Cell Biology
5. Human Protozoan Parasites
Life Member of "Society of Biological Chemists (India)"
- Selected for participation in the Regional Conference of Young Scientists on the topic “Frontiers in Scientific Research” held during December 21-22, 2015 at JNCASR, Bangalore by TWAS-ROCASA.
- Selected for the award of Research Associateship funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, New Delhi (DBT Research Associateship Program in Biotechnology and Life Sciences) in 2013.
- Awarded the ‘BEST PRESENTATION’ at the 16th West Bengal State Science and Technology Congress, held on 28th February to 1st March 2009 at Burdwan University, Burdwan, West Bengal, India.
- Awarded the Junior Research Fellowship in Life Sciences under the CSIR Fellowship Scheme for qualifying the ‘Joint CSIR-UGC Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Eligibility for Lecturership-National Eligibility Test (NET)’ held on 19.06.2005.
- Qualified the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2005 in Life Sciences, conducted by Indian Institute of Technology, with 92.78 percentile score (All India Rank: 479).
- Awarded the Lecturership (NET) in Life Sciences for qualifying the ‘Joint CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) for Lecturership’ held on 19.12.2004.
- Selected for the ‘Summer Research Fellowship Programme’ of the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research during 2004.
- Selected for an award under the National Scholarship Scheme of the Government of India in 2003 for securing 330th rank in the merit list of University of Calcutta in B.Sc. (Hons.) Examination.
- Received an ‘ORDER OF MERIT’ from University of Calcutta for securing the 2nd position in aggregate in B.Sc. (Hons.) in Physiology in 2003.
- Received a ‘CERTIFICATE OF HONOUR’ and awarded the ‘Prof. Sachchidananda Banerjee Prize/Prof. Achintya Kr. Mukhopadhyay Memorial Prize’ from Presidency College, Kolkata for securing Highest marks in Physiology Hons. Pt. 1 Examination in 2002.
Teaching Laboratory 3, Division of Biological & Life Sciences,