Heritage is a broad umbrella term that encompasses a variety of aspects that we (humans) value. Though a popular and conventional reference would always be with grand monuments, the term heritage is equally applicable to vernacular buildings, settlements, archaeological and historic sites, cultural practices, knowledge and skills, crafts, music, performing arts, celebrations and festivals, natural features, biodiversity, and so on. In the growing academic literature, professional fields of practices, government initiatives as well as the global institutions like UNESCO, heritage is increasingly recognized as a broad term and a much needed basis for our future and sustainable development. Young students in any discipline today should have at least some level of sensitivity towards this concept which matters both in personal life and professional careers. Those who have built a passion and interest around the theme can actually develop a unique niche for themselves in future. However, there are not many opportunities for young students to explore this idea. The Undergraduate Students Symposium and Workshop series on Heritage studies aims to fill the gap. The programme aims to engage interested participants in dual goals of i) sharing their understanding of heritage, and ii) learning what is happening in the larger context in the arena of heritage.
This specific symposium cum workshop is organized by the Centre for Heritage Management at Ahmedabad University after a successful inaugural international conference on Heritage Management Education and Practice, with a theme this year (July 2017) on ‘Exploring Connections across Disciplines and Stakeholders’. The students symposium cum workshop is explicitly designed for undergraduate students across all disciplines with some interest in Heritage Studies. The inaugural edition of this students symposium is scheduled on November 25 – 26, 2017 at Ahmedabad University. The programme will coincide with the Heritage Week celebrations in Ahmedabad.
Who can participate?
Students currently pursuing any Bachelor’s degree programmes (preferably final year students) or recent graduates from various disciplines such as Archaeology, Design, Performing Arts, Management, Architecture, History, Science & Technology, Humanities & Social Sciences, Environmental Studies, Tourism, etc. Participants will also have the option of presenting their research/thesis/project/term papers related to heritage (this is optional but highly encouraged).
- Students’ Symposium – opportunity for interested students and recent graduates to present their research or class projects.
- Special Heritage Walk in the Old City of Ahmedabad, a World Heritage Property (inscribed in WHS in 2017), followed by discussion with AMC officials and experts.
- Networking Opportunities with faculty & experts from heritage sector; students and alumni of Centre for Heritage Management, Ahmedabad University.
- Expert lectures:
- Overview of the Heritage Discourses.
- Heritage Sectors in India: Challenges & Opportunities.
- Understanding World Heritage Process.
- Intangible Heritage Convention: Opportunities & Challenges.
- Current Heritage related Schemes of Government of India.
- Heritage sectors in India and abroad: Organizations & Key Areas of Engagement including World Heritage, Heritage Tourism, Conservation / Restoration of Heritage properties, and so on.
- Case Studies on:
- Urban Heritage.
- Natural Heritage.
- Crafts & Creative Sector.
- Intangible Heritage.
- Traditional crafts in Contemporary Arts.
- Capitalizing on Historic Built Heritage.
- Role of NGOs in supporting crafts community.
Last date to submit the online application form and Statement of Interest for participation (portfolio of presentation if willing to present in Symposium): October 6, 2017
Registration fee: Rs. 1000
Fee is to be paid only after the selection. It covers lodging & boarding (basic accommodation on twin sharing basis up to a maximum of 25 participants). Participants not availing accommodation facility may request for 50% refund on successful completion of programme.
Certification of Participation will be awarded.
Interested candidates may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any further queries.