Dr. Himani Baxi holds Ph.D. in Economics and MA Economics with specialization in Econometrics from M S University Baroda. Her areas of interest are Public Finance and public policy development economics. She was invovled in the research study for 14th Finance Commission, Govt. of India in collaboration with GIDR. She also carried out a research work for 3rd State Finance Commission, Government of Gujarat. She has been regularly invited for the budget panel discussion by news channel DD national and DD Giranar. To her credit, Dr. Himani has many research papers published in National and International journals and books. She was also involved with the projects sponsored by World Bank, ILO, EU in the area of environment economics and entrepreneurship.
She has been invited to deliver sessions in the area of economics and resaerch methodology at NID, GIDR, IBS Ahmedabad, MGLI etc. She is also associated with many NGOs and Research Bodies.
- Measuring Impact of Demonetization in Rural Economy. Jointly carrying out the project with Dr. Sonal Yadav and Dr. Mita Suthar. The study looks at how the impact of demonetization has varried across the segmented population, considering financial inclusion and exclusion as the parameter of segmentation. The study is sponsered by Ahmedabad University Research Body.
- Outcome Evaluation of State Finance in the context of recommendations of the 14th Finance Commission: Determination of sustainable debt roadmap for 2020-25, taking into account impact of introduction of GST and other tax/non-tax trend forecasts. The financial perfomance of Gujarat state is carried out for the 15th Finance Commision charied by Prof. N K Singh. working as an individual research consultant to GIDR.
- Dried Fish Matters: Mapping the Social Economy of Dried Fish in South and Southeast Asia for Enhanced Wellbeing and Nutrition. The project is conducting research on dried fish value chains in six countries in South and Southeast Asia, and four regions in India. The project's goal is to examine how value is created in the dried fish economy at all stages of activity from production through processing, exchange, and consumption, viewing value chains as a framework for understanding human economic activity in the context of social, ecological, cultural, historical, political, and other forces. I am associated as a coapplicant of the joing project sponsered by The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Project Director, Dr. Derek Johson, University of Manitoba, Canada.
- Carried out research work for 14th Finance Commission India, titled “State Finance in Gujarat: An Evaluation” as a Consultant for Gujarat Institute of Development Research, from May 2013 to August 2014.
- Carried out the research project for Third State Finance Commission – Government of Gujarat titled ‘Analysis of fiscal performance of Gujarat state: past, present and future’. Report submitted on March 2013
Papers Published in Books
- Baxi H (2019), “Social Expenditure and Human Development in Gujarat", Economic Political Weekly, Vol 54, No14, pp 58-64
- Baxi H and Shah A (2017), “Fiscal Decentralization and Challenges to Indian Cities” in India and the New World Order, P C Panda & Rasananda Panda (Ed), Kumud Publications 2017 pp. 190-210, 978-93-82885-40-5
- Baxi Himani (2016) Urban finances in Gujarat: A critical analysis, India’s Urban Environment: Changing Scenario, by Rao A S and Nanavati A. (Ed), Department to of Economics, Centre for Research in Planning & Development, (pp 108 to 122) ISBN: 9788193129821
- Baxi Himani & Nair Kruti (2015), Issues of state finances in Gujarat, in Nanavati A & Rao A S (Ed), Gujarat Economy, Structure and Performance (pp 174 to 192), Wisdom Publication ISBN: 978-93-81505-70-0
- “Analyzing Non-Tax Revenue of Indian States – A Panel Data Study” published in Edited book ‘Economic Growth and Stability in the Post Reform Period: Indian Experience’; by A S Rao and P R Joshi, Centre for Research in Planning and Development, Department of Economics, M S University. (2011)
- “Agricultural Sector in Gujarat: Performance and Prospects performance” published in edited book “Gujarat Economy A Way Ahead” by Dr. Sudha Menon Icfai University Press, 2008. ISBN 9788131421321
Papers Published in Journals
- ‘Tax Revenue and Expenditure: A Causality Test for Gujarat State’ published in GUJARISSH, A bi annual refereed International Publication, Vol 1, No. 1, July - December 2012, ISSN: 23198923
- “Growth and Determinants of Non-tax revenue of Indian states – a panel data analysis” ICFAI Journal of Public Finance Vol VII, No. 3 & 4, August & November 2009
- “Revenue Receipts of Indian State – A Comparative Study”, Anvesak, Vol 39, No. 1, January – June 2009
- Baxi H, 2009, (Ed) (2009) “Regional Disparities in India – Issues and Perspectives” Icfai University Press.ISBN 9788131424490
- Baxi H(Et a)(2009) Business Research Method and Communication, for YCMOU university, Viaks Publication January
Economics of Public Goods
Money Banking and Public Finance
Indian Economic Policy
Dr. Himani Baxi is associated with various NGO and research institutes. She has been invited to deliver expert sessions to Mahtma Gandhi Labour Institute, National Institute of Design etc. She is also regularly invited by news channels for union and state budget discussions.
Your browser is out-of-date!
For a richer surfing experience on our website, please update your browser.Update my browser now!