Research Interests: Conventional And Heat Driven Refrigeration Systems, Thermal Management Solutions Using Phase Change Materials, Compressed Gas Energy Systems, Solar Thermal Energy.
Dr Nitin D. Banker is working an Associate Professor at the School of Engineering and Applied Science, Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad. He has obtained his PhD degree from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and has 14 years of experience in Industries as well as Academics. His areas of interest include Conventional and heat operated refrigeration systems, Thermal management solutions using phase change materials, Efficiency improvement of gas turbine power plant and Solar thermal energy. He has published 17 journal and 19 conference papers. He has published two Indian patents also.
He began his professional career with John Deere India Pvt. Ltd., Pune and worked for five years. Subsequently, he joined Emerson Innovation Center, Pune for two years and worked at Shiv Nadar University, UP for six years before joining Ahmedabad University. He has completed one DST funded project under Fast Track Young Scientist-Engineering Science Scheme (2014-2017). Two students have completed their PhD under his supervision and one more is currently working under his guidance. He is a reviewer of many reputed Journals such as Applied Energy, Energy and Buildings, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India): Series-C, Journal of Applied Physics and Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy.
He likes playing badminton and cricket, reading novels and listening to music.
1. Banker ND, Srinivasan K and Prasad M., Performance analysis of activated carbon + HFC 134a adsorption coolers, Carbon, 2004, Vol. 42 (1):117-127. (IF- 7.08).
2. Saha BB, E1- Sharkawy II, Chakraborty A, Koyama S, Banker ND, Dutta P, Prasad M and Srinivasan K, Evaluation of minimum desorption temperatures of thermal compressors in adsorption refrigeration cycles, Int. J. Refrigeration, 2006, Vol. 29 (7):1175-1181. (IF- 3.23).
3. Banker ND, Prasad M, Dutta P and Srinivasan K, Performance studies on mechanical + adsorption hybrid compression refrigeration cycles with HFC 134a, International Journal of Refrigeration, 2008, Vol. 31(8): 1398-1406. (IF- 3.23).
4. Banker ND, Prasad M, Dutta P and Srinivasan K, Activated carbon + HFC 134a based two-stage thermal compression adsorption refrigeration using low-grade thermal energy sources, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2009, Vol. 29 (11-12): 2257-2264. (IF- 3.44).
5. Banker ND, Prasad M, Dutta P and Srinivasan K, Development and transient performance results of a single-stage activated carbon – HFC 134a closed-cycle adsorption cooling system, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2010, Vol. 30 (10): 1126-1132. (IF- 3.44).
6. Banker ND, Prasad M, Dutta P and Srinivasan K, Experimental results of activated carbon–HFC 134a adsorption cooling system for thermal management of electronics, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2011, Vol. 31 (10): 1607-1612. (IF- 3.44).
7. Varuneswara RP, Banker ND, Thermodynamic Assessment of a Gas Turbine Power Plant Integrated with an Adsorption Refrigeration System, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2017, Volume 117: 577–583. (IF- 3.44).
8. Dandotiya D and Banker ND, Numerical Investigation of Heat transfer Enhancement in Multi-tube Thermal Energy Storage Heat Exchanger Using Fins. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, 2017, Vol. 72 (5), pg. 389-400. (IF- 2.4).
9. Dandotiya D and Banker ND, Performance Enhancement of a Refrigerator using Phase Change Material based Condenser: An Experimental Investigation, International Journal of Air-conditioning and Refrigeration, 2017, Vol. 25 (4), pg. 1750032- 1750040. (CiteScore- 1.31).
10. Varuneswara Reddy Panyam, Veda Sai Kolla, Lokesh Palawat, Ayush Sahu and Banker ND, Performance Comparison of a Vapor-Adsorption Cycle-Based Gas Turbine Inlet Air Cooling System for Different Refrigerants, International Journal of Air-conditioning and Refrigeration, 2018, Vol. 26 (1), pg. 1850002-1850011. (CiteScore- 1.31).
11. Rakesh Singhai, Harender Sinhmar, Banker ND, Effect of Aspect Ratio of Heliostat on Cost of Energy from Solar Power Tower Plants, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Online available, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-019-04105-0 (IF- 1.518)
12. Ashwath Vaidhyanathan and Banker ND, Theoretical and Experimental Modeling of Phase Change Material based Space Heating using Solar Energy, International Journal of Air-conditioning and Refrigeration, 2020, 28 (2), pp. 2050016-1 to 2050016-12. https://doi.org/10.1142/S2010132520500169
13. Rakesh Singhai, Nitin D. Banker, Harender Sinhmar, Sarthak Jain and Shikhar Kulshresth, Effect of Aspect Ratio of Heliostats on Optical Efficiency of Solar Tower Power Plant- An Experimental Analysis, Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 2020, Online available. (IF-0.894). DOI: 10.1080/15567036.2020.1751745
14. Dandotiya D., and Banker N. D., Theoretical study of Energy Saving through Redesign of Water Distribution Arrangement in a medium-rise Residential Building. ASME. J. Eng. Sustain. Bldgs. Cities, 2020, 1(3), pp. 031002-1 to 031002-5. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4047618
15. Nitin. D. Banker, Devendra Dandotiya, Sai Vamsi Reddy Morthala, Mahesh Gaddam and Sridhar Kakileti, Evaluation of Minimum, Maximum and Optimum Source Temperature for Solar Powered Adsorption Refrigeration System, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, 2020, 45, pp. 9735–9745. (IF-1.71) https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-020-04865-0
16. Shikhar Agarwal, Vansh Anand, Nitin D Banker, Pratibha Biswal, Experimental Studies on Space Heating using Phase Change Material (PCM), Energy storage, 2020, Special issue. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/est2.209
17. Devendra Dandotiya, Nitin. D. Banker, Energy Efficiency Improvement of a Refrigerator Integrated with Phase Change Material based Condenser, ASME. J. Energy Resour. Technol., 2020, 143 (8), pp. 082105-1 to 082105-7. doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4048871
Papers in Conference Proceedings
1. Srinivasan K, Banker ND, Prasad M and Akkimaradi BS, Evaluation of sorption compressor performance from isotherm data: Application to activated carbon + nitrogen/HFC-134a systems, In "Thermally Powered Sorption Technology" (Eds) B.B.Saha, A.Akisawa and S. Koyama., Proceedings of International Seminar on Thermally Powered Sorption Technology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan, December 4-5, 2003:121-133.
2. Banker ND, Rao RR, Prasad M and Srinivasan K, Limits of operating conditions for thermal compressors of Adsorption cryocoolers, National Seminar & Conference on Cryogenics and its Frontier Applications, Bengal Engineering College, India, March 25-27, 2004.
3. Banker ND, Prasad M and Srinivasan K, Comparative analysis of single and two-stage activated carbon+hfc134a refrigeration systems, International Conference, Carbon2004, Brown University, Rhode Island, USA, July 11-16, 2004.
4. Devendra Dandotiya, R. Aadithya V and Banker ND, Energy-saving using multi-door in the refrigerator, International conference on Polygeneration, Chennai, India, Feb 18-20, 2015.
5. Devendra Dandotiya, Prerit Maheshwari, Harish Samanu and Banker ND (2015), Experimental Investigation of Phase Change Material Storage Integrated with Solar Water Heater to Increase the Average Temperature of Room, Proceedings of the 17th ISME National Conference, Delhi, India, Oct 3-4, 2015.
6. Deepak Malhotra, Zoya Ali, Rajalakshmi A. and Nitin Banker (2015), Optimization of Cold Air Distribution in the Car having Single Passenger, Proceedings of the 17th ISME National Conference, Delhi, India, Oct 3-4, 2015.
7. Dandotiya D and Banker ND, Performance Improvement of Gas Turbine Power Plant by Intake Air Passive Cooling using Phase Change Material based Heat Exchanger, Proceedings of ASME Gas Turbine India Conference December 7-8, 2017, Bangalore, India.
8. Varuneswara Reddy Panyam, Dandotiya D and Banker ND, Gas Turbine inlet Air Cooling using Vapor-Adsorption Refrigeration Driven by Power Plant Exhaust, Proceedings of ASME Gas Turbine India Conference December 7-8, 2017, Bangalore, India.
9. Ashwath Vaidhyanathan and Banker ND, Theoretical Modeling of Phase Change Material based Space Heating using Solar Energy, Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Advances in Energy, December 12-14, 2017, IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India.
10. Devendra Dandotiya and Banker ND, Performance Enhancement of a Single Door Domestic Refrigerator by Incorporating Section Doors inside Refrigerated Space, 12th International Conference on Thermal Engineering: Theory and Applications (ICTEA 2019), February 23-26, 2019, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
11. Abhishek Dahiya, Banker ND and Jishnu Bhattacharya, Analysis of Compressed Air Energy Storage System, 12th International Conference on Thermal Engineering: Theory and Applications (ICTEA 2019), February 23-26, 2019, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
12. Rakesh Singhai, Banker ND and Harender S, Heliostats for Low Wind Area, 12th International Conference on Thermal Engineering: Theory and Applications (ICTEA 2019), February 23-26, 2019, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
13. Banker ND, Rohit Pilligundla, Harshil Negi, Bhanu Prakash Reddy Bysani and Harender S, Thermodynamic investigation of a cogeneration system: a combination of concentrated PV/Thermal and an adsorption refrigeration system, 8th Global Conference on Global Warming (GCGW-2019), April 22-25, 2019, Doha, Qatar.
14. Rakesh Singhai, Banker ND, Harender S. Experimental Investigation of Wind Loads Acting on the Heliostats of Solar Power Tower Plant and Its Variation with Varying Aspect Ratios, 8th Global Conference on Global Warming (GCGW-2019), April 22-25, 2019, Doha, Qatar.
15. Yogesh Kumar, Arvind K. Rajput and Nitin D. Banker, Influence of couple stress lubricant on the performance of non-recessed geometrically imperfect journal bearing, 6th International Conference on Production and Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2019), NIT JALANDHAR, India, June 8-10, 2019.
16. Shikhar Agarwal, Vansh Anand, Nitin D Banker and Pratibha Biswal, Experimental Study on Space Heating using Phase Change Material (PCM), 11th International Exergy, Energy and Environment Symposium (IEEES-11), July 14-18, 2019, Chennai, India.
17. Sanchit Agarwal, Darshika Gupta, Devendra Dandotiya and Nitin D Banker, (2019). Energy and exergy analysis of a gas turbine power plant integrated with vapor adsorption refrigeration, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 Gas Turbine India Conference. Volume 1: Compressors, Fans, and Pumps; Turbines; Heat Transfer; Structures and Dynamics. Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. December 5–6, 2019. V001T03A012. ASME. https://doi.org/10.1115/GTINDIA2019-2570.
18. Abhishek Dahiya, Jishnu Bhattacharya and Nitin D. Banker, (2019), Thermodynamic Analysis and Performance Enhancement of Air and CO2 based Compressed Gas Storage Systems, Proceedings of the ASME 2019 Gas Turbine India Conference. Volume 2: Renewable Energy: Solar and Wind. Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. December 5–6, 2019. V002T06A010. ASME. https://doi.org/10.1115/GTINDIA2019-2489.
19. Chetan Patil, Devendra Dandotiya, Bhaskar Pal, Nitin Banker, Numerical Analysis of Heat transfer in Aeroengine Turbine Blade using k-epsilon and k-omega SST model, International Conference on Futuristic Trends in Mechanical Engineering (ICOFTIME-2020), Presidency University Bangalore, September 2020.